The Daily Beast delivers award-winning original reporting and sharp opinion from big personalities in the arenas of politics, pop-culture, world news, and more. Fiercely independent and armed with irreverent intelligence, we now reach more than 20 million readers per month. We are based in New York and are an operating business of IAC.
The Daily Beast is looking for a creative, curious, and energetic commerce editor to produce commerce content, manage freelancers, and help build the editorial voice of Scouted, the shopping and product recommendations section of The Daily Beast run by the Commerce team.
Scouted is internet shopping with a pulse. Our mission is to help our readers navigate internet shopping by surfacing brands and products that make their lives easier and more enjoyable. Our commerce content should inform, entertain, and educate our readers — and as our Commerce Editor, you’ll be an integral part of making that happen.
If you’re a consummate consumer with excellent prose, an interest in the business side of things, and an eagerness to share your product recommendations and experiences with others, you might be a fit. Being able to move fast while staying organized is a must.
Commerce sits as part of the Revenue team and this role reports to the Commerce Director.
- Pitch and write editorial commerce content — such as product reviews, roundups, updates to evergreen content, and sale coverage — for Scouted (5-8 posts a week)
- Manage a growing team of freelancers, from pitch assignment to building posts
- Package and publish commerce content in our CMS
- Work with the Commerce Director to strategize editorial coverage on an ongoing basis, from one-off posts to larger, in-depth content such as franchises and gift guides
- Find, reach out to, and speak with relevant sources for commerce content
- Contribute to the strategy for and execution of major commerce initiatives like Prime Day and Deals Week (Black Friday/Cyber Monday)
- Collaborate with business development and analytics teams to understand what readers like to buy and use data collected to strategize key growth areas in editorial content
You are / have:
- At least 2 years of previous experience writing and editing for a digital media outlet, commerce writing preferred
- Strong research and writing skills and a distinct writing voice
- Comfortable editing and fact-checking yours and others’ writing
- Interested in a variety of product categories
- Familiar with affiliate networks and revenue
- Proven ability to multitask under pressure and juggle multiple deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Interest in building a social media and SEO presence for a brand (experience with SEO headline writing a plus)
- An eager collaborator with multiple teams to grow Scouted
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Proficiency in Google’s G suite
- A voracious news diet and appetite for current affairs, pop culture, and internet trends
- Based in NYC
Why work for us?
The Daily Beast is a globally recognized publication at IAC HQ in pristine Chelsea in New York City. Being part of IAC, we are able to provide you some of the best in benefits. We offer discretionary vacation (as in take what you need with approval for all exempt and non-guild employees), tuition reimbursement, 401(k) matching, subsidized gym membership, stocked kitchens with snacks and drinks, and excuses to celebrate all the time! Work for us and work for something spectacular!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.