Senior Editor, Science and Innovation
The Daily Beast delivers award-winning original reporting and sharp opinion from big personalities in the arenas of politics, pop culture, technology, and more. Fiercely independent, irreverent, and intelligent, The Daily Beast now reaches more than a million readers per day.
The Science and Innovation Editor is expected to assign and edit stories, series, and special projects for The Daily Beast on the life sciences, space, climate, and more. The Editor must have the proven ability to stay ahead of the pace of change, and translate complex concepts for the widest possible audience. In addition, the Editor must also have demonstrated skills to write their own stories that weave interviews, anecdotes, and exclusive details into compelling narratives.
- Recruit and help manage a diverse array of freelance science and technology writers for The Daily Beast.
- Identify the most interesting and impactful developments in the life sciences, greentech, the new space race, and more.
- Assign and edit stories, series, and special projects on these new developments.
- Package these pieces for the widest possible audience.
- Conceive and execute long-form narratives, infographics, and visually-driven content—as well as time-sensitive news items.
- Work closely with The Beast’s teams in New York and Washington, D.C..
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, juggling multiple projects and deadlines, responding to breaking news as it occurs in a 24-hour cycle.
- Ability to take initiative, receive constructive feedback, and collaborate with other reporters and editors.
- A self-starter who can conceive and execute stories with impact.
- Strong research, writing, and reporting skills.
- Proven skill translating complex science and technology developments to a wide audience.
- Commitment and ability to continue to develop sources.
- A keen sense of The Beast’s high-low approach to the news.
- At least five years of reporting/editing or equivalent experience.
- Science or technology background is a major plus.
- Can be based anywhere.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.