Deputy World Editor
The Daily Beast delivers award-winning original reporting and sharp opinion from big personalities in the arenas of politics, pop culture, technology, and more. Fiercely independent, irreverent, and intelligent, The Daily Beast now reaches more than a million readers per day.
What We Can Offer You:
The Deputy World Editor is expected to edit, and assign news pieces, features, investigations, and analytical stories for The Daily Beast on geopolitics, international crime and conflict, inequality and identity, and more. They must have a keen sense of The Beast’s hard-hitting, scoop-driven, high-low approach to the news. And they must have a proven ability to write their own stories that weave interviews, anecdotes, and exclusive details into compelling narratives.
What You Get To Do:
- Recruit and help manage a diverse array of freelance writers for The Daily Beast’s world desk—from up-and-comers to household names.
- Help supervise The Beast’s network of international correspondents on stories about geopolitics, international crime and conflict, inequality and identity, and more for The Daily Beast.
- Conceive and execute time-sensitive stories as well as long-form projects.
- Work closely with The Beast’s teams in London, New York, and Washington, D.C..
- Assign stories and break news at the intersection of international affairs and domestic politics, always keeping an eye towards relevance for an American readership.
What You Bring To Us:
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, juggling multiple projects and deadlines, responding to breaking news as it occurs in a 24-hour cycle.
- Ability to take initiative, receive constructive feedback, and collaborate with other reporters and editors.
- Scoop-minded, with an eye towards breaking big, exclusive news.
- Strong research, writing, and reporting skills.
- Proven skill as a narrative writer and storyteller.
- Commitment and ability to continue to develop sources.
- A self-starter who can conceive and execute stories with impact.
- A keen sense of The Beast’s hard-hitting, high-low approach to the news.
- At least five years of reporting/editing or equivalent experience.
- Regional expertise and multiple languages a plus.
- Could be based practically anywhere—Europe, UK, Middle East, Asia, Latin America, and beyond.
Why Work Here
The Daily Beast is a globally recognized publication at IAC HQ in pristine Chelsea in New York City. Being part of IAC, we are able to provide you some of the best in benefits. We offer discretionary vacation (as in take what you need with approval for all exempt and non-guild employees), commuter subsidy, tuition reimbursement, 401(k) matching, subsidized gym membership, fully stocked kitchens with snacks and drinks, and excuses to celebrate all the time! Work for us and work for something spectacular!
More About Us
Why The Daily Beast? Every month, we reach over 20 million of the most affluent and influential readers on the web. We have the aesthetic, quality, and editorial chops of a traditional media company with the nimble, tech-savvy required to be a digital only publisher. We are the best in the business at content partnerships, and we prove it through home grown proprietary content tools that allow us to both predict what our partners should write about, but also measure the success of their content. This is a rare opportunity to work for a well-known, well respected digital brand that helps drive the national conversation from politics to fashion, or breaking news to culture.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.