The Daily Beast delivers award-winning original reporting and sharp opinion from big personalities in the arenas of politics, pop-culture, world news, and more. Fiercely independent and armed with irreverent intelligence, we now reach more than 20 million readers per month. We are based in New York and are an operating business of IAC.
We are seeking a dependable, self-motivated, creative and inquisitive senior editor to join our team in a six-month capacity to run our Innovation vertical. The role is ideally based in New York but with the potential for working remotely. The Innovation Editor is expected to assign and edit stories on the latest breakthroughs and far-future developments in the life sciences, space, health and medicine, advanced technologies, climate, robotics, A.I., and more. The editor must have a proven ability to conceive, develop and produce stories of various lengths, both long-form features and quick news-of-day articles. He or she must also have demonstrated skills in writing his or her own stories and quickly and accurately interpreting scientific studies and other data.
What You Get To Do:
- Help supervise freelance writers covering biology, health, climate science, astronomy, AI and more for The Daily Beast.
- Use sources, documents, computer-assisted reporting, and other journalistic tools to develop, report, and write his or her own stories on these topics.
- Fact-check government, institutional, and corporate leaders on scientific issues (from vaccines to the space race and more) and spot counter-intuitive narratives in the public discussion around science and innovation.
- Deliver timely stories and well-crafted narratives.
- Conceive compelling story and project ideas to discuss with The Beast’s top editors in New York City.
- Help edit and collaborate with other members of The Daily Beast staff.
- Adhere to the ethical code, policies and procedures of The Daily Beast.
- Contribute ideas for online graphics, polls, and other means of enhancing audience engagement.
What You Bring To Us:
- At least 5 years’ experience in science journalism at a national publication
- Rigorous attention to detail
- An ability to accurately understand and translate scientific studies and data to a general audience
- Enthusiasm for holding peddlers of anti-science to account and excitement about exploring the most amazing new innovations across a range of scientific fields
- An ability to write quickly, cleanly, and accurately
- A team spirit and an ability to work well with others
- Based in New York City in preferred, by not required.
Why Work For Us?
The Daily Beast is a globally recognized publication at IAC HQ in Chelsea in New York City. Every month, we reach over 20 million of the most affluent and influential readers on the web. We have the aesthetic, quality, and editorial chops of a traditional media company with the nimble, tech-savvy required to be a digital only publisher. We are the best in the business at content partnerships, and we prove it through home-grown proprietary content tools that allow us to both predict what our partners should write about, but also measure the success of their content. This is a rare opportunity to work for a well-known, well-respected digital brand in an intimate, hands-on way, helping drive the national conversation from politics to fashion.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.