The Daily Beast delivers award-winning original reporting and sharp opinions from big personalities in the arenas of politics, pop culture, world news, and more. Fiercely independent and armed with irreverent intelligence, The Daily Beast now reaches more than 20 million readers per month. The Daily Beast is based in New York and is an operating business of IAC (NASDAQ: IAC).
About the role:
We are seeking a Senior Data Scientist to join our team to help drive our membership and commerce programs and other business objectives. As a Senior Data Scientist, you will partner with non-technical stakeholders to achieve company objectives, and roll up your sleeves and dig in on the technical work necessary to drive these initiatives forward.
The type of problem you will solve:
* Identify the behavioral patterns of the cohorts within our audience who are more likely to subscribe to our various newsletter and membership products.
* Partner with a cross-functional team to build strategies to target the right cohorts with the right products.
As a Senior Data Scientist at The Daily Beast, you’ll:
* Drive strategic initiatives that contribute to building a sustainable model for investigative journalism.
* Support the operation of an award-winning news publication at a critical time for journalism.
* Use your data wrangling, statistical, and machine learning skills to contribute to high-impact projects affecting company revenue and product initiatives
* Work with cross-functional teams from the newsroom, technology team and various revenue lines to plan and realize the most impactful data science projects.
* Foster data-informed decision-making across the business.
* Develop, deploy, and test machine learning and statistical models and the data pipelines that feed them to understand/target users and optimize site performance
* Develop, deploy, and test machine learning and statistical models to understand/target users and optimize site performance
* 3+ years experience as a data scientist (Experience in digital publishing and/or paid subscriptions a plus)
* Able to deliver concrete impactful data solutions in a dynamic problem space
* Skilled at identifying a vaguely defined problem, and reaching clarity by building alignment within the relevant teams
* Strong communication skills to understand the problems of, and provide solutions to, both technical and non-technical stakeholders
* Strong research, analytical, and problem-solving skills
* Solid programming skills in Python and SQL
* Understanding of inferential statistics, supervised, and unsupervised learning
* AWS experience a plus
Why work for us?
The Daily Beast is a globally recognized publication at IAC HQ in pristine Chelsea in New York City. Being part of IAC, we are able to provide you some of the best in benefits. We offer discretionary vacation, tuition reimbursement, 401(k) matching, subsidized gym membership, stocked kitchens with snacks and drinks, and excuses to celebrate all the time! Work for us and work for something spectacular!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.