What You Get To Do:
The Justice Reporter will report and write news items, analytical stories, and feature-length articles on the topic of justice, broadly defined—from criminal justice to environmental justice to economic justice and beyond. The Reporter will be an integral part of The Daily Beast’s U.S. News team, working on stories that explore this country’s often-unequal systems for governing, policing, and rewarding its citizens—and how those systems intersect with race, ethnicity, and identity.
What You Bring To Us:
The ideal candidate will have a high news metabolism and must have a deep understanding of news and politics. The Reporter must be ready to cover everyone from crooked cops to predatory loan operators to fossil fuel barons, and have demonstrated the skills to cultivate sources, sift through public records, break original news, and write with flair.
- Research stories on criminal, racial, economic, and environmental justice.
- Write news items, analytical pieces, and features.
- Land exclusive stories.
- Contribute to breaking news coverage of major events
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, juggling multiple projects and deadlines.
- Willingness to collaborate with other reporters, editors, and media partners.
- Strong writing and reporting skills.
- Demonstrated track record of covering at least one of the beats listed above, with an understanding of pressing topics for diverse cultures, communities, and racial and ethnic identities.
- A self-starter who can conceive and execute stories with impact.
- Ability to take initiative, receive constructive feedback, and work with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated capacity to work well in a team environment.
- At least 5 years of reporting experience.
- Can be located anywhere.
Why Work For Us?
The Daily Beast is a globally recognized publication at IAC HQ in Chelsea in New York City. Every month, we reach over 20 million of the most affluent and influential readers on the web. We have the aesthetic, quality, and editorial chops of a traditional media company with the nimble, tech-savvy required to be a digital only publisher. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.