About the Company:
The Baltimore Banner is a nonprofit newsroom founded to bring high-quality local journalism to the Baltimore metro area. We are creating a vibrant, strong, trustworthy, and sustainable news organization, seeking to re-imagine the future of local news. Using a multi-platform news operation, covering a broad range of topics from local government to culture and the arts. We tell stories that reflect the community, connecting neighbors, holding government institutions accountable, and making sense of the world. All this work is grounded in truth. We believe we can contribute to a more vibrant, informed, and whole Baltimore, surrounding counties, and the state of Maryland.
About the Job:
The Baltimore Banner is hiring Assistant Editors to help guide coverage of local news in Baltimore City and Baltimore County. The ideal candidates will be experienced in reporting or editing local news with a record of coverage that prompts results. We are looking for editors who can manage a growing team of reporters and help our range focus on accountability. The local news editors will help reporters conceive, report and write stories about Baltimore-area communities. The editors will also coordinate with newsroom staff on photos, data graphics, or other visuals to accompany coverage. The editors will ensure that coverage is accurate, written with clarity, and meets The Baltimore Banner’s standards. The local news editors will have some flexibility to work remotely and be available based on news needs.
We are a mission-driven organization focused on local news and improving the community. We expect all candidates to believe sincerely in that mission. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive newsroom with positive morale and culture.
- Help manage The Baltimore Banner’s team of reporters covering Baltimore and Baltimore County
- Guide reporters to produce coverage that holds public officials accountable for their decisions – and the results – and keeps the focus on the impact on, and needs of, the communities we cover
- Help reporters develop ideas that go beyond meetings, events, and the news of the day to dig deeper into stories
- Work with reporters to produce focused, comprehensive, polished, and error-free coverage.
- Work with reporters to help them produce a mix of short and longer-term coverage: breaking; enterprise; investigative; and projects
- Coordinate with reporters photo and data staff on visual content that adds insight, detail, and context to stories
- Represent The Banner in the community as needed -- in person or on television or radio appearances
- Use and understand newsroom analytics to hone and identify the coverage that serves readers
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in journalism
- Prior editing or management experience plus
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Familiarity with open records laws and an ability to help reporters track down essential documents
- Teamwork and willingness to collaborate with others
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to give and receive constructive feedback
- Willingness to work some nights and weekends as news dictates
- A commitment to upholding journalistic values and ethics
The Venetoulis Institute embraces diversity and inclusion, and we are wholeheartedly committed to being proactive in inspiring a culture of inclusion across our organization. We are dedicated to establishing an organization that reflects the fundamental respect for different ways of working and living, and we assure every employee the opportunity to reach their full potential.