Who We Are:
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is a place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly– chances are you will like every one of the 100+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
The Accounting Manager position will work closely with the Controller, CFO, and other accounting staff to maintain accurate and complete financial records. Under the supervision of the Controller, the Accounting Manager will lead general accounting operations in the areas of accounts payable, accounts receivable, financial reporting, and tax compliance. The role requires taking a leadership role in developing and maintaining accounting procedures and processes.
Your Next Challenge:
- Assist in managing organizations daily operations of the accounting team including; accounts payable/receivable, cash receipts, general ledger, payroll, fixed asset activity and month and year-end process
- Ensure general ledger account reconciliations are completed timely and accurately and reconciling items are followed up on and resolved
- Oversee organization’s credit card program and expense reporting
- Contributes to annual audits and occasional program audits
- Collaborate with the Controller to produce monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements
- Assist in annual indirect cost rate calculation and 990 tax preparation
- Assist in other tax compliance including monthly Washington B&O tax, use tax filings and property tax filings
- Prepare external surveys and reporting
- Assist in determining accounting policies and procedures, and creating or maintaining the documentation of those policies and procedures.
- Identify opportunities for process and procedure improvements, and work with management to implement.
- Concurrently perform multiple assignments and self-manage schedule to determine workflow timing and duration.
- Effectively communicate, both written and oral, with other company personnel.
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments.
- Provide various additional support functions as requested by CFO and Controller
What You’ll Need:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Accounting software/systems experience.
- Detail oriented, organized, and analytical in approach to tasks.
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner with limited supervision.
- Ability to effectively respond to requests or questions from managers and colleagues in both written and oral form.
- High degree of flexibility and customer service attitude.
- Prior Not-For-Profit experience
- Experience working with Sage Intacct
- Experience managing and accounting for Federal grants
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) from accredited institution and four plus years relevant experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
- CPA or comparable equivalent highly preferred.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call us at 206-548-5600.