Remote eligible: Persons in these roles are welcome to work remotely from any location.
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence (AI2) is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of (AI2) is to contribute to humanity through high-impact AI research and engineering.
Who you are:
AI2 is searching for a methodical and strategic Grants and Database Manager to help establish the development department at AI2. This role will be a critical part of a growing department and will report to the Chief Development Officer (CDO). The Grants and Database Manager is responsible for a CRM (Salesforce) database implementation, ensuring data integrity, improvement, analysis, donor research / prospecting, tracking steps in the fundraising process, staff training on procedures as they relate to data hygiene, and creating and managing systems to record relationships and touch-points. This role will support the department’s capacity to maximize external fundraising effectiveness and compliance.
Who We Are:
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization– because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity -We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion -We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly– chances are you will like every one of the 100+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
Your Next Challenge:
The Grants and Database Manager is responsible for supporting the CDO through project managing a portfolio of federal and private foundation fundraising applications and grant, working with AI2’s existing federal grant consultants. This includes researching funding opportunities from private and federal sources, working with the finance department to develop budgets, supporting the application process, managing the intake and grants administration process, ensuring timely acknowledgements, tracking reporting dates, and overall project management of the compliance and reporting cycle.
The ideal candidate for this role should be a self- starter with superior organizational skills, great leadership qualities, and exceptional budgeting and monitoring skills. The ideal candidate should also be familiar with Salesforce, have a track record of securing federal funding, and should have experience implementing a database and managing fundraising data. This position will ultimately ensure that grant programs (federal and private) operate efficiently. A goal for this role is to streamline the grant pipeline, working in collaboration with the CDO, CFO, finance department and program leads to help ensure long-term fiscal sustainability of AI2’s external fundraising efforts. Other responsibilities and duties as needed.
- Implementing a relational CRM (Salesforce)
- Managing the database and data integrity
- Researching funding opportunities.
- Optimizing the grant administration process.
- Managing timelines and deliverables.
- Preparing and monitoring budgets.
- Tracking grant applications.
What You’ll Need:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5+ years of experience in a similar role
- Methodical and strategic thinking
- Excellent communication skills
- Project management skills.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Budgeting and accounting experience
- Computer proficiency (Google Suite, Asana, Salesforce)
- Knowledge of auditing policies
- Knowledge of federal and private granting/funding agencies
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or you may call us at 206-548-5600.