Senior Technical Talent Acquisition Partner, AI2 Incubator
WHAT WE DO:
Artificial Intelligence is changing everything. We take these breakthrough technologies and turn them into exciting startups!
The AI2 Incubator is a one-of-a-kind place to build an AI-first company. We are an initiative of the Paul Allen Institute for AI (AI2)—a leading A.I. research institute with 200+ A.I. PhDs, researchers, engineers, and support staff.
Each year, we invite talented entrepreneurs, researchers, and engineers to join our incubator on a rolling basis. We help them come up with ideas, find co-founders, engage pilot customers, define their product, incorporate the latest A.I. techniques into their technology, and raise millions of dollars in venture funding.
We also invest up to $500,000 into our startups. This investment capital comes from some of the best investors in the world including Madrona, Sequoia, Kleiner Perkins, Two Sigma Ventures, and more.
We are a diverse team with an inclusive culture that seeks a variety of viewpoints and perspectives. We love what we do, have fun, and respect each other, our portfolio company teams, and our role in the community.
DON'T JUST TAKE OUR WORD FOR IT:
Our job is to invent the future. This place can be described as a "magic factory" and many of our friends in the press seem to agree:
You will be a valued member of the core incubator team. In this role you are a leader, HUNTER, and closer of amazing technical entrepreneurial talent. You will work closely alongside all other members of the incubator team including our investors, A.I. experts, technical and engineering experts, product designers, legal team, and executive leadership.
You will also work closely with our amazing group of founders to help build out these new teams. Some of our past and present entrepreneurs include people like linkedin.com/in/alessya, linkedin.com/in/lekshmivenu, linkedin.com/in/jamienmccullum, linkedin.com/in/matthewwhitehill, linkedin.com/in/jordanritter/ and more.
This is a “let’s-get-it-done” environment, with lots of opportunities to take full ownership and lead. This role will be treated and respected like a partner, but will not have any direct reports. You are the talent leader on our team and also the primary individual contributor.
A WEEK IN-THE-LIFE:
- Source: Identify potential technical candidates using modern tools/strategies. Help organize and participate in recruiting events.
- Vet: Conduct initial calls to assess mutual fit, then pass along qualified candidates to your incubator teammates or to AI2 spinout companies.
- Build long-term relationships: Use the right tools and strategies to expand our candidate database, keep candidates warm/engaged, and strengthen mindshare with target candidates (e.g. blog, newsletters, etc.).
- Lead: While we all think about recruiting on a regular basis, and we all participate regularly in the process, you are the talent leader on our team with 100% focus on talent acquisition and development. You will take initiative to devise and propose new strategies, propose improvements to existing processes, and adapt/optimize on an ongoing basis in service of our collective goals.
THE PERSON MOST LIKELY TO SUCCEED:
- Has 3+ years of experience and is looking for an opportunity to step up and own/lead a talent effort
- Has helped build a talent function (bonus points for having done it from scratch and bonus points for building a VC talent function)
- Can bring in an equitable relevant network aligned to our thesis and continue to help us scale
- Can articulate an executable talent strategy and how it would be deployed
- Has a strong track record of success in recruiting early-stage technical founders
- Is a relevant practitioner who has operated in startups, can understand early stage pain points, and is savvy on how to build early-stage companies
- Has program management experience
- Is a strong storyteller and a strong closer
- Is genuinely passionate and curious about innovation
- Geographic preference is Seattle, but we’re open to remote for the right person
WHY JOIN THE AI2 INCUBATOR?
- The opportunity to stand up and lead the talent function for the entire incubator. You will be the talent leader!
- Working with fun/visionary/inspiring entrepreneurs every day is the most fun you’ll ever have in a job. Period.
- Helping to create new startups that invent the future—A.I. that helps cure cancer, A.I. that is changing the content industry, etc.—is incredibly rewarding. And it never gets boring, as we consistently have new companies/products coming through.
- Meaningful participation in the financial upside of our portfolio companies (i.e., “carry” in our fund). You win when they win.
- Ability to spend time with and learn from some of the smartest A.I. people in the world. This will ‘level up’ your skills.
- Joining the Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence (AI2) means that you’re joining the Paul Allen/Vulcan extended network—an extended community of organizations that includes the Allen Institute for Brain Science, Allen Institute for Cell Science, Allen Institute for Immunology, Allen School for Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Washington, Museum of Pop Culture (MoPOP), Vulcan Capital, Vulcan Real Estate, Vulcan Sports (Seattle Seahawks and Portland Trail Blazers), and more.
- Flexible work location and company paid holidays.
- We are a learning organization—because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class A.I. experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is a place where you will have opportunities to continue learning.
- We value diversity—We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion—We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance—We believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we are definitely “startup people”, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent—We have one common purpose: Build the next wave of world-changing, AI-first startups. We are quick to cheer successes and even quicker to jointly problem-solve our shared failures.
- We are a proud Equal Opportunity employer—We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call us at 206-548-5600.