Applied Sciences and Technology - Climate Modeling Internships
Are you interested in honing your climate modeling, data science and software development skills while learning about cutting-edge developments in Artificial Intelligence? Do you have a passion for applying technology to do good in the world? If so, an internship in the Applied Science and Technology (AST) Climate Modeling team at AI2 may be the perfect opportunity. We will be reviewing applications and scheduling interviews for Summer 2022 internships in December/January. Start dates will be determined based on your availability and will be 12 weeks in duration.
The AST Climate Modeling team has diverse internship opportunities in its Machine Learning (ML) and Domain-Specific Language (DSL) groups. The ML group designs machine learning software that makes climate models predict rainfall and temperature patterns and extremes more accurately across a range of climates. The DSL group makes prototype climate models of the future, which represent the earth using very fine computational grids, run faster and with higher energy efficiency on large high-performance computing systems that use accelerators such as graphical processing units (GPUs). You will work closely with a technical mentor on project design, coding and testing. Over the course of your time at AI2, you will build your resume and leave an impact on AI2 and the world.
We have a beautiful office in Fremont near a bike trail and Lake Union; daily catered lunches; great pay; and smart, friendly and helpful co-workers.
What we’re looking for:(please specify which group(s) you would wish to work with)
- Graduate students in science, applied math/statistics or engineering (ML only) or computational or computer science (ML and DSL) with strong skills in Python and collaborative software development in git and great communication skills
- Eager to learn new skills and like to work in a challenging environment
- (ML) Prior training & practical experience in machine learning and graduate-level course work in atmospheric or climate science are a plus
- (DSL) Prior training & practical experience with high-performance computing, compiler design, or numerical methods are a plus
*Please specify in which Intern opportunity(s) you are interested*
Internship opportunities in ML group
We train ML on reference simulations made with an ultra-realistic fine-grid global weather forecast model. The ML aims to better predict future climate change by improving coarser-grid climate models run for decades to centuries. Intern projects include:
- ML detection of out-of-sample forecast drift: ML-assisted climate model forecasts may ‘drift’ away from the range of data used for ML training, leading to unreliable ML and poor simulation skill. The intern will help design and implement ML software to flag when an atmospheric column lies too far outside the training range.
- ML of cloud condensate PDFs: The reference fine-grid model makes realistic predictions of cloud properties within each grid cell spanned by the target coarse-grid model. The intern will help design and implement ML software to predict the statistical distribution of liquid and ice clouds within each coarse model grid column and relate this to surface radiation and precipitation.
Internship opportunities in DSL group
In collaboration with international partners, we are developing a Python-based domain-specific language (DSL) and compiler for running weather and climate models on the world’s largest supercomputers, using an open-source, Python-based DSL toolchain. Interns will:
- Contribute to implementation, performance analysis and optimization of the DSL compiler.
- Contribute to implementation, validation, and optimization of the climate model.
Joint ML/DSL internship opportunity
- This internship will use ML to improve the accuracy of the numerical representation of wind predictions by the climate model.
Who We Are:
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through how we treat each member of the AI2 Team! Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is a place where you will have opportunities to continue learning right alongside us;
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave;
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures;
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door;
- We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States;
- We are friendly – chances are you will like every one of the 100+ (and growing!) people who work here. We do!
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or you may call us at 206-548-5600.