The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence (AI2) seeks an experienced attorney to join our organization. We are seeking a pro-active, business-oriented, and collaborative attorney to serve as corporate counsel supporting our teams. This person will play an important role in supporting the contract needs of departments and teams within AI2.
Who We Are:
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is a place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly– chances are you will like every one of the 100+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
Your Next Challenge:
This person would take on many of the day to day tasks like:
- Contract review and management
- Vendor Agreements
- Department organization
- Maximizing features and use of contract management software
- Open source requests
What You’ll Need:
To perform our Corporate Counsel job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 10+ years of legal experience in a corporate environment
- Self-starter: Does not need daily directions or validation to make decisions
- Skilled in working with ambiguity
- Start-up mentality; adaptable, can pivot quickly
- Comfortable taking risks
- Ability to adjust rapidly to new strategies and approaches for building support in a fast-moving environment
- Excellent presentation and facilitation skills: polished, concise, catered messages to different audiences
- Effective persuasion and influencing skills.
- Ability to build strong relationships with leaders at all levels to obtain successful outcomes and move the business forward
- Must be able to communicate in a professional demeanor with the ability to interface and interact with a diverse group across all levels of the organization.
- Advanced Google Suite product experience
- Contract negotiation experience
- Intellectual Property and licensing experience
- Project Management experience
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or you may call us at 206-548-5600.