Lead Mobile Engineer - AI2 Applied Science & Technology Team
Who You Are:
Love animals? Have you always wanted to apply your technical and creative expertise to a product that protects endangered species on a day-to-day basis? You don’t have to decide between a technical career and a deeply moving, important calling. Imagine your cutting-edge mobile software being carried by a wildlife ranger in Africa, helping them to combat poaching, study animals, and help local communities!
The Allen Institute for AI (AI2) is looking for our next Lead Mobile Engineer to help drive our Applied Science & Technology team’s EarthRanger project.
If this sounds like an opportunity you just can’t pass up, we encourage you to apply.
Who We Are:
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is a place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly solve our challenges.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door.
- We are friendly– chances are you will like every one of the 100+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
EarthRanger is a software solution that helps conservationists make informed operational decisions. We help prevent the poaching of endangered species, fight deforestation, promote human-wildlife coexistence, and advocate for legal protection of wildlife. We do this by integrating real-time data from 60+ hardware sensors (animal trackers, radios, vehicles, etc), rangers, patrols, remote imaging, etc and providing visibility and analysis of conservation activities across landscapes. More than 125 conservation organizations use EarthRanger today, from iconic national parks like Masai Mara Reserve in Kenya and North Luangwa National Park in Zambia, to species-specific conservation programs like the Snow Leopard Trust in Mongolia and Panthera’s Mountain Lion Program in Washington state.
Your Next Challenge:
Working on this team, you have the opportunity to join us and be on the ground floor in designing, building, and deploying cutting-edge products that will have a global impact. You will collaborate with our users, NGOs, and academic partners to understand, design and deliver EarthRanger functionality to aid in wildlife conservation. In this role, applying your vast mobile engineering experience, you will establish our mobile platform strategy and lead a team of engineers in fulfilling our user’s needs in conservation. The candidate will be confident in the use of the latest tools and best practices, and comfortable both teaching and learning from teams of extremely talented engineers.
What You’ll Need:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to help us make a difference.
- Work with users, product management and UI/UX teams to design and validate products that change the game for wildlife protection.
- Coordinate and lead a team of outsourced mobile developers using an agile scrum process to deliver timely value to our users.
- Proactively identifies potential roadblocks or performance/productivity concerns. Determines, and executes on, strategy for resolution.
- Must be delivery focused, with a strong willingness to perform all tasks required to complete the job and meet deadlines.
- Responsible for the EarthRanger mobile platform strategy and development across mobile platforms.
- Problem-solving skills and the abilities to analyze quantitatively, scope technical requirements and effectively prioritize program deliverables
- Technical innovator and thought leader, with ability to demonstrate and inspire continuous learning, experimentation, and data and metrics-driven decision making
- Extensive experience developing amazing solutions and experiences on iOS and Android, including development framework selection, cross platform, offline/online solutions, API integration, and automated testing.
- iOS and Android development experience with at least three years as technical lead for a mobile development team.
- Familiarity with all aspects of submitting, managing test and production releases of apps in the Google Play store and Apple App Store.
- Experience leading teams within an Agile development environment.
- Established track record of delivering complex software solutions to delight customers
- Bachelor's degree and/or Master's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- A minimum of 12 years of software development experience
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or you may call us at 206-548-5600.