Customer Support & Relations Specialist
The Allen Institute of Artificial Intelligence (AI2) is looking for a customer support and relations specialist with research experience to work alongside our product team to support the growth and evolution of Semantic Scholar. Semantic Scholar (semanticscholar.org) is a free, AI-powered research tool for scientific literature. We have grown from a groundbreaking research project at the Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence to a product millions of scholars use every week. Semantic Scholar uses artificial intelligence to extract the semantics, or meaning, of scientific literature and surface it to our users through a discovery experience that helps them understand science more effectively than any other tool.
As a customer support and relations specialist for Semantic Scholar, you will help us understand what researchers think of our tool, and help us resolve complaints and issues. In addition to addressing and resolving user feedback tickets, you will summarize and understand trends in the data so we can better understand how our users are doing and what we should prioritize next. You will also leverage your understanding of our users to perform basic customer relations, community building and social media responsibilities. Not only will you get experience of working at a state of the art AI research institute, but you will also get a chance to directly shape and influence the future direction of our product.
This role reports to the Director of Product for Semantic Scholar and is part of the broader Product team within Semantic Scholar. You will have a direct channel to the Product Management and Engineering teams to propose and define new features based on the user feedback you are seeing. Being part of the product team also gives you the opportunity to develop your skills in and grow your career towards marketing or product management, based on your interest.
- You are passionate about helping users be successful and happy
- You like collaborating with teams to identify issues that need to be addressed
- You are organized, self-starting and value efficiency
- You are focused on details and a curious problem solver
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Become an expert on the Semantic Scholar product inside and out
- Receive and respond to emails and contacts regarding product functionality, customer issues, and feature enhancement opportunities
- Diagnose and resolve complex issues based on customer needs
- Escalate issues which are unresolved with the product and engineering teams, and communicate effectively with the customer and our internal teams to ensure a timely resolution
- Own writing new policies, procedures, and user-facing communication based on customer feedback.
- Experience in a customer support or customer-facing role, and strong written communication skills.
- Experience with tools such as Microsoft Office, Google Docs and a CRM tool. Knowledge of Freshdesk or a similar customer support tool is a plus.
- The ability to actively listen, seek information, ask questions and solve problems
- Excellent time management and customer service skills
- Organized, efficient, and has intense attention to detail to ensure customer satisfaction
- BA in Communications, Marketing or a related field.
- Experience supporting software and hardware products preferred
Who We Are:
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly– chances are you will like every one of the 100+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or you may call us at 206-548-5600.