Who We Are:
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is a place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly– chances are you will like every one of the 100+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
This Accounts Payable & Payroll specialist position will be responsible for assisting the Finance department with effective and efficient recording and reporting of financial liabilities; processing of resulting disbursements; maintenance of accurate AP related records; and compliance with regulatory and legal requirements as well as supporting the payroll processing, maintenance of payroll records, and compliance with state and federal reporting.
Your Next Challenge:
- Prepare the weekly check/pay cycles for approval by senior accounting staff.
- Prepare daily wire cycle for approval by senior accounting staff.
- Capture daily accounts payable transactions through the direct entry of supplier invoices and internal payment requests into the accounts payable system.
- Perform invoice voucher to purchase order matching.
- Initiate invoice voucher system approvals for payment.
- Review invoice voucher details for accuracy, completeness, and appropriate authorization to pay based on established policies and procedures.
- Initiate disbursements through accounts payable system pay cycle processing.
- Capture invoices through adjunct system interfaces.
- Capture and maintain appropriate ledger account coding on payable transactions.
- Perform supplier statement reconciliation including relevant supplier and internal communications.
- Perform accounts payable transaction research including activity, metrics, and accounting information.
- Perform sales and use tax analysis as required.
- Apply company financial policies and established accounting procedures.
- Recommend process improvements to fit evolving business needs.
- Maintain vendor files with appropriate and complete information for management and tax purposes.
- Prepare year-end reporting.
- Assist in processing payroll for employees in the organization.
- Assist with the set up new employees and remove terminated employees in payroll and other accounting systems.
- Assist in payroll and timesheet audit activities.
What You’ll Need:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Accurate and efficient data entry skill using software tools or enterprise systems.
- Skill in discerning details among varying payable documents.
- Skill to clearly articulate accounts payable processes and procedures through verbal and written communication.
- Ability to maintain professional composure, accuracy, and efficiency among quickly changing priorities.
- Skill in flexibility to adapt to varying work tasks based on department needs.
- Skill in functioning as an effective team member.
- Skill to escalate issues/situations as appropriate to leadership chain.
- Demonstrate professional demeanor through actions, words, and task completion.
- Enterprise financial systems. Sage Intacct and/or UKG Ready preferred
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Accounting or other business financial experience
- Sage Intacct, QuickBooks, or other financial system exposure
- Interest in professional development and continuing education
- Professional accounts payable certification: IOFM, IAPP
- High school diploma /GED and 2 plus years relevant experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Associates Degree in Accounting, Finance; OR Bachelor’s degree preferred.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call us at 206-548-5600.