Who You Are:
You are a software engineer who enjoys building web applications. You can work across the stack, but enjoy working on the front-end more. You like thinking about how to make sites easy to use, fast, and accessible. You’re someone who thrives in a small, fast-paced organization where there can sometimes be large amounts of ambiguity. You’re self-directed and enjoy working independently while still having frequent technical conversations with your team to determine the best route forward. A key interest you have is in building the right user experience to clearly communicate a complicated system, which in our case is often a new state-of-the-art AI model. If you would like to help us communicate our work to the greater world, and define how AI research is shared broadly, we would love to talk to you.
Please note that we are looking for candidates with at least 2 years of industry experience building high quality web applications, and won't be able to consider applications that don't meet this requirement.
Your Next Challenge:
With your curious and creative mind you will collaborate with research scientists across the company to build demos and applications to move our research forward and communicate our work externally (check out some past examples at https://allenai.org/demos). Depending on when you join us, your next challenge might be to build software so researchers can experiment with continuously learning models, by allowing humans to annotate model output while the underlying model retrains itself on the fly. Or you might be collaborating on recent research to reduce bias in machine learning models, determining how we can clearly communicate our research findings through an interactive application.
What You’ll Need:
- A strong interest and focus on developing new user experiences.
- At least 2 years of industry experience building high quality web applications.
- A solid understanding of HTTP and how web applications transmit data.
- Examples of previous products or features where you collaborated on the design.
- Proficiency in a language typically used to develop backends, such as Python, Go, Java, etc.
Who We Are:
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly– chances are you will like every one of the 100+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or you may call us at 206-548-5600.