Senior Human Resources Manager
The Allen Institute for AI seeks a Senior HR Manager to lead and contribute to Human Resources programs and initiatives. The role is both strategic and tactical; this person will provide thought leadership and program management as well as hands-on contribution to ensure the success of HR initiatives.
Who We Are:
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is a place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly– chances are you will like every one of the 100+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
This position provides a wide range of innovative HR programs to the organization, including optimizing people, strategy, structure, process and culture. AI2 will become a 501c3 in 2021 and the Senior HR Manager will partner with Legal, Finance and the executive team to ensure HR policies and procedures are compliant with 501c3 regulations. Day to day responsibilities include providing guidance and consultation in the areas of employee relations, organizational development, leadership development, and performance management. This role will deliver HR training programs and draft and recommend HR policies and procedures. The Senior HR Manager will partner closely with our active and passionate DEI Council and an external DEI Consultant to conceptualize and implement DEI initiatives that continuously build upon efforts to create a culture of equity and inclusion.
Your Next Challenge:
- Work closely with the teams and managers to develop, implement, and manage programs in support of organizational initiatives. Ensure that these programs and associated processes are aligned with the corporate culture, operating model, and HR strategies.
- Collaborate with all teams to provide integrated, strategic and customer focused HR business solutions. Enhance and build the capability of the business by incorporating the people component into strategic planning, development and assessment.
- Serve as a first line resource to managers and employees on employee relations issues. Provide advice, counsel and support in resolving issues, disputes and other sensitive matters.
- Deliver effective guidance, coaching and constructive feedback to all levels of management regarding department goals and objectives. Participate in department reviews and partner with the business leaders on measuring and evaluating performance in areas of focus.
- Consult with partner groups to assist in defining and developing comprehensive HR strategies and programs that address the areas of talent management, employee development, diversity, training, employee relations, and compensation.
- Communicate HR initiatives and serve as a liaison between partner groups and HR functional areas regarding service delivery. Proactively maintain an open line of communication with managers and employees on HR service-related issues.
- Research and consult on compensation philosophies for the organization, as well as specific enhancements to our compensation and total rewards policies, programs and practices that aide in our efforts to attract and retain employees.
- Gather information on internal trends and HR data to help inform strategy and decision-making.
- Provide consultative services to managers to ensure that all intended results of performance management are maximized to create, recognize and maintain a high performance culture and to manage non-performers.
- Perform in an advocacy/consulting role for employees experiencing problems/issues that impact their job performance.
- Participate in the development of the annual HR departmental operating plan and budget.
- Formally and informally, deliver training to managers and employees on various HR policies, processes (e.g. labor law, HR Guidelines, interview training, etc.).
- Serve as project manager for various HR-related and cross-functional projects. Partner with others throughout the organization to meet project goals.
- Partner and collaborate with Finance/Payroll, Legal, Infrastructure and Operations in support of advancing departmental goals.
- Mentor other HR team members.
- Demonstrate honesty, flexibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments.
- The Senior HR Manager will work closely with DEI committee, executive management and outside consultants to develop, implement and monitor programs and strategies to promote diversity and inclusion across AI2
- This role creates and executes initiatives to support DEI strategies, with focus on reaching corporate diversity & inclusion goals and delivering on racial equity commitments.
- This role will lead efforts to attract and acquire talent from diverse backgrounds, engage and retain, build an inclusive and equitable culture, and develop and progress team members in their careers.
What You’ll Need:
To perform our Sr. HR Manager job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Demonstrated success in developing and implementing HR strategies
- Thorough knowledge of human resources practices, procedures and laws & regulations
- Excellent project management skills with a proven ability to design and implement people strategy that drives business results
- Ability to adjust rapidly to new strategies and approaches for building support in a fast-moving environment
- Excellent presentation and facilitation skills: polished, concise, catered messages to different audiences
- Effective persuasion and influencing skills.
- Ability to build strong relationships with leaders at all levels to obtain successful outcomes and move the business forward
- Must be able to communicate in a professional demeanor with the ability to interface and interact with a diverse group across all levels of the organization.
- A passion for and demonstrable experience incorporating best practices in diversity, equity and inclusion to HR initiatives
- Advanced Google Suite product experience
- SHRM-SCP or SPHR certification
- Strong compensation knowledge and experience
- Experience providing HR support within a high growth organization
- Experience with non-profits
- Experience with immigration and visas
- Research Institutions or Academia background
- Experience leading and executing Diversity, Equity & Inclusions goals, strategies and initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) from accredited institution
- 10+ years relevant experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call us at 206-548-5600.