Research Engineer, Semantic Scholar
Who you are:
You are a hands-on, full-stack developer who is excited to contribute to AI research. You thrive in a fast-paced environment, are self-directed, a team player, can quickly deliver working code that’s flexible and maintainable, and are not afraid to take on big challenges. You’re capable of and excited to wear a lot of different software engineering hats, as your contributions might involve tweaking UI code one day and training a machine learning model the next. If you have a passion for rapid prototyping, contributing to research breakthroughs, and designing maintainable and robust systems, we'd love to talk to you!
Please apply before March 30th for full consideration. Note that we will conduct interviews on a rolling basis, so we encourage applying early before the deadline.
Your Next Challenge:
Your responsibilities may include:
- Writing code to train, evaluate, and deploy research models
- Building visualizations, demos, and prototypes using research models
- Building tools to support data collection and dataset curation for model development
- Developing software libraries packages to assist our research efforts internally as well as share externally
- Help with writing and submitting research papers to top tier AI conferences
- And more ...
What You Will Need:
- Strong software development skills: 2+ years of experiencing writing software in a professional setting, bonus for experience in industry applied research
- The ability to make trade-offs that let you ship prototypes quickly, but still produce something that can be migrated into a solution that’s viable in production.
- Strong collaboration skills - our environment is small and collaborative, and we'd like you to thrive on working closely with others.
- Familiarity with building web interfaces. You don’t need to be an expert, but should understand how to turn an idea into a working, browser-based interface.
- Familiarity working with cloud services (AWS, Azure, GCP, etc). You don’t have to be an expert, but you should have an idea of the services offered and be comfortable deploying and debugging software in these environments.
- Background in natural language processing, computer vision, machine learning, knowledge graphs, or related areas
- Experience with deep learning packages or frameworks (e.g., PyTorch, Tensorflow, etc.)
- Publications in top-tier computer science conferences or background in a scientific discipline (e.g. biomedicine)
Why Semantic Scholar?
AI2’s Semantic Scholar (semanticscholar.org) is a free, AI-powered research tool for scientific literature. We have grown from a groundbreaking research project at AI2 to a product millions of scholars use every week. Semantic Scholar uses artificial intelligence to extract the semantics, or meaning, of scientific literature and surface it to our users through a discovery experience that helps them understand science more effectively than any other tool. Since our launch in 2015, we have indexed more than 180 million research papers and built a user base of millions of scholars in over 100 countries. Our work has been featured in the New York Times, Wired, Nature, Science, and many other publications.
As a Research Engineer, in addition to collaborating with researchers on our team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate frequently with researchers on other AI2 teams focused on natural language processing and computer vision, among others. Our main office has close ties and unique access to researchers at the University of Washington, only 1.5 miles away.
Our research areas include, but are not limited to: Natural language processing, human-AI interaction, language and vision, machine learning, information retrieval, and data science. See our team page (https://research.semanticscholar.org/publications) for examples of our work.
Who We Are:
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence (AI2) is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of (AI2) is to contribute to humanity through high-impact AI research and engineering.
At AI2, you will be working with world-class AI researchers and talented software engineers. We perform team-based, ambitious research, with a mandate to strive for big breakthroughs, not just incremental progress, in an exciting and interactive workplace.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization– because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity -We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion -We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly– chances are you will like every one of the 100+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call us at 206-548-5600.