Senior Product Manager, Technical - Semantic Scholar
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is looking for an experienced technical product manager to drive the strategy and execution for AI products for Semantic Scholar, a fast-growing search engine and research tool powered by artificial intelligence. We are looking for a Senior Product Manager - Technical to own the roadmap and launch of scalable user-facing products based on our AI research initiatives.
As a technical product manager, you will own the roadmap, prioritization, and product requirements for our ML / AI features. This includes starting with identifying and prioritizing the user problems we are trying to address, writing business requirements, defining a strategy for collecting training data, success criteria for model evaluation, and UX requirements for our features. You will work closely with our research team to understand the capabilities of our AI models, gather requirements, assess opportunities, and organize a prioritized backlog of new features based on their cost/benefit. You will own the strategy for how to scale our AI features to all of our user segments and across different customer needs. You will use customer research and data analysis to support new proposals, produce designs, UI mocks and prototypes for new features.
As a key member of the Semantic Scholar product team, you will partner with a team of world class research and applied scientists, software engineers, and other functions to design, build, and launch features that drive the artificial intelligence behind the Semantic Scholar product. A fundamental understanding of machine learning and curiosity on how to apply the latest research techniques to solve customer problems is essential to this role, as is outstanding communication, analysis, and organizational skills.
Your Next Challenge:
- Own the roadmap, requirements, and launch of AI products for Semantic Scholar.
- Influence AI research projects based on user needs and technical capabilities.
- Own strategy and process for collecting training data, success criteria for model evaluation, and launch metrics.
- Directly maintain relationships with relevant external organizations (e.g., meeting with Allen Institute) and with individual users so we understand our users and accurately estimate the benefit of features.
- Analyze user data, and internal metrics, to identify and justify key decisions and the prioritization of features.
- Develop specifications for new features, along with detailed technical requirements and UX mocks, when needed.
- Help organize a prioritized list of new features we would like to develop, including the cost, benefit, and specification for each.
- Attend sprint prioritization meetings to make sure we are balancing product work and infrastructure work effectively.
- Validate features once they are live on site to make sure they match their specification, and analyze them to assess their impact.
What You'll Need:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related technical, math, or scientific field (or equivalent technical work experience).
- 5+ years of experience in product management or related experience with a track record of delivery.
- Experience with product management for ML / AI products and technologies.
- Experience developing Internet products and technologies.
- Excellent problem-solving, organizational and analytical skills.
- MBA or advanced degree in Computer Science or Engineering.
- Experience working in a research or academic environment.
- Experience working in a start-up environment.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve strategic goals in an innovative and fast-paced environment.
Who We Are:
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. Our mission is to contribute to humanity through high-impact AI research and engineering.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through how we treat each member of the AI2 Team! Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning right alongside us;
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave;
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures;
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door;
- We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States;
- We are friendly – chances are you will like every one of the 130+ (and growing!) people who work here. We do!
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.