Software Development Manager, Data Team, Semantic Scholar
Semantic Scholar (semanticscholar.org) is a free, AI-powered research tool for scientific literature. We have grown from a groundbreaking research project at the Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence to a product millions of scholars use every week. Semantic Scholar uses artificial intelligence to extract the semantics, or meaning, of scientific literature and surface it to our users through a discovery experience that helps them understand science more effectively than any other tool.
Since our launch in 2015, we have indexed more than 180 million research papers and built a user base of millions of scholars in over 100 countries. Our work has been featured in the New York Times, Wired, Nature, Science, and many other publications. In March 2020, Semantic Scholar released the CORD-19 dataset, a free resource of over 130,000 scholarly articles about COVID-19, SARS-CoV-2, and related coronaviruses for use by the global research community. The dataset is now updated daily and supports dozens of research initiatives around the world.
The Data Team software development manager owns the team and systems that fetch hundreds of millions of research paper data from myriad sources and create high quality, information- rich structured representations of research papers. These representations power the Semantic Scholar research knowledge graph, rich website experience, and a host of AI features. The quality and timeliness of this data is crucial to enabling Semantic Scholar’s users to easily find and understand the latest research, which has a large multiplier effect in their ability to generate their own cutting-edge research. This is critical to ensure Semantic Scholar can continue to magnify its role as a go-to destination for finding the latest relevant research in a highly accessible manner. Reporting to our senior technical leader, the Director of Engineering, you will manage a team of highly skilled, mission-driven engineers.
- Manage and develop 10+ person engineering team focused on the Semantic Scholar data pipeline.
- Develop and maintain a roadmap of investments to improve standards of site reliability, availability, scalability and data quality in support of business goals.
- Define the metrics and goals for the Data team in support of business objectives.
- Set and maintain a high bar for processing quality & reliability.
- Make judicious tradeoffs among new feature development, tech debt, system migration, operational improvements.
- Support diversity, equity, and inclusion in day-to-day management, hiring, professional development, and promotion.
- Maintain our strong collaborative, transparent, mission-oriented team culture.
- 5+ years experience as a software developer
- 2+ years managing software developers
- Experience managing large, high-throughput data workflows and pipelines
- Experience designing and implementing architectural improvements
- B.S. in Software Engineering or related discipline
- 7+ years experience as a software developer
- 3+ years managing software developers
- Experience managing and and scaling pipelines to hundreds of millions of events weekly; experience with AWS systems a plus
- Familiarity with machine learning infrastructure and pipelines, understanding of data clustering and information extraction techniques
- Experience collaborating with or supporting research teams
- Experience building or managing an account-based ingestion pipeline framework a plus
- Experience implementing diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives in management, hiring, professional development, and promotion
- M.S. in Software Engineering or related discipline
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization– because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity -We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion -We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly– chances are you will like every one of the 100+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.