Who You Are:
You are a mid-career finance professional with a CPA, extensive accounting & auditing experience, and a passion for working in a mission driven, high impact organization. You have significant 501c3 experience and demonstrated competency developing and implementing policies and procedures to improve financial, accounting operations and controls.. People management comes naturally to you, and you find energy and satisfaction in leading, motivating and developing employees.
If this sounds like an opportunity you just can’t pass up, we encourage you to apply.
Your Next Challenge:
The Controller directs the principal Financial Accounting & Reporting functions for the Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence (AI2), a non-profit entity with the mission of AI for the Common Good. The Controller is a key member of the finance team and is responsible for developing sound practices for managing the financial systems, including but not limited to the general ledger, purchasing, payroll, accounts payable and related functions. The Controller will be part of a team of four individuals and will report directly to the Chief Financial Officer. The Controller has responsibility for the integrity and accuracy of the financial books and records of AI2 and as such must develop and maintain the highest level of controls and best practices throughout the financial office including coordination of all internal and external financial reporting. The Controller works directly with the leaders of the AI2 project teams and will assist in supporting their financial business needs, with a specific emphasis on reporting. The position leads and coordinates periodic financial reporting to the CEO, CFO, and outside related parties. The Controller works with the CFO and Legal teams on compliance and risk management issues to ensure best practices across all financial functions.
Management, Staff Development, Company Leadership, and Flexibility through Change:
- Develop and execute a strategic plan to enable Accounting and Financial Operations to support future AI2 growth and development
- Understand and apply business key performance indicators; measure and adjust processes to effectively execute programs and regulatory requirements
- Identify and communicate clear responsibilities and departmental practices to ensure achievement of overall AI2 goals
- Review and document complex accounting transactions, and provide guidance to less experienced staff on appropriate accounting treatment
- Manage a staff capable of meeting the financial accounting needs of the company in a manner that engenders high performance and dedication to excellence
- Responsible for Federal, State and Local financial filings
Accounting Expertise in a Diverse Environment:
- Responsible for the timeliness and accuracy of the financial books and records of AI2
- Responsible for financial planning and analysis, including both short and long term forecasting
- Coordinate annual review of financial statements by internal and external auditors as required
Best Practices, Risk Mitigation, and Refining Policies and Procedures:
- Provide oversight and maintenance of systems, policies, and procedures to ensure timely and accurate Accounting and Financial Operational goals and regulatory compliance
- Design, implement, and maintain a strong system of internal financial and accounting controls
- Build strong internal and external business relationships, share knowledge with team and peers throughout the organization, and actively contribute to finance goals
- Prepare, communicate, and educate various business units and teams on changes and developments in policies and practices within the organization
- Responsible for developing, implementing, and monitoring best practices across all areas of financial accounting. Ensure appropriate financial controls are in place and properly monitored to ensure financial compliance and reduce exposure to risk
- Analyze project and departmental budgets and financial reports to ensure accuracy and AI2 accounting requirements are properly reflected
Systems Knowledge, Application of Technology, Reporting, Dashboards, and Visualizations:
- Develop and implement monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting systems and formats that capture the critical elements of the assigned business segments
- Develop reporting requirements and procedures that facilitate the analysis and consolidation of diverse data into standard reporting formats
- Ensure we are taking the greatest advantage of existing and new technologies to support our work, including potential updates and upgrades to our ERP system
- Provide functional expertise and guidance to staff for accounting systems (PeopleSoft or other) and software applications
What You’ll Need:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or equivalent
- 8+ years accounting or auditing experience
- Significant experience in a 501c3 organization
- Demonstrated experience developing and implementing policies and procedures to improve financial and accounting operations and controls
- A demonstrated ability to motivate and develop staff at a variety of levels
- Significant experience with accounting software and reporting systems
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity, and fulfillment of commitments
- Master's degree or equivalent plus demonstrated, relevant experience.
- CPA, CFA, and/or CMA.
- People management experience: This position will directly manage two employees. Responsibilities could include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising and managing performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Who We Are:
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly– chances are you will like every one of the 100+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or you may call us at 206-548-5600.