Remote hybrid: Persons in these roles are expected to spend part of their time on-site in our Seattle offices but may occasionally work remotely. On-site requirements vary based on position and team.
Who You Are:
Are you passionate about taking artificial intelligence to the next level, to solve problems that require modeling, reasoning, and explanation? We are looking for talented researchers interested in applying their skills towards the next generation of intelligent systems, and pursuing our mission of AI for the common good.
After our success on Eighth Grade Science Exams, the Aristo project has broadened its mission towards problems requiring a both reading and explanation. This ambitious undertaking will require new advances in machine reading, natural language understanding, common-sense knowledge acquisition, machine inference, and more. We are looking for motivated people ready to take on a complex challenge with huge potential impact for the future of AI.
At AI2, you will be working with world-class AI researchers and talented software engineers. We perform team-based, ambitious research, with a mandate to strive for big breakthroughs, not just incremental progress, in an exciting and interactive workplace.
We have a beautiful office on Lake Union in Seattle; super-smart, friendly and helpful co-workers; catered lunches; great pay and benefits; and even a couple of kayaks you can take out on sunny days.
Your Next Challenge:
AI2 currently has projects in the following areas:
- Language and Vision
- Information extraction and semantic parsing
- Question answering
- Language and reasoning
- Machine learning and theory formation
- Semantic search
- Natural language processing
- Diagram understanding
- Visual knowledge extraction and visual reasoning
- And more….
AI2 Research Scientists will have a primary focus in one of these specific areas but will also have the opportunity to contribute and engage in a variety of other areas critical to our research and mission. These include opportunities to participate in or lead select R&D projects, work with management to develop the long term vision for knowledge systems R&D, take a leading role in overseeing and implementing software systems supporting AI2’s research, author and present scientific papers and presentations for peer-reviewed journals and conferences, and help develop collaborative and strategic relationships with relevant academic, industrial, government, and standards organizations.
What You’ll Need:
We are looking for energetic, inspired individuals with skills in one or more of the following areas:
- Machine reasoning
- Natural language processing
- Large-scale language modeling
- Question answering and explanation
We are particularly interested in researchers with a passion for the larger vision of AI, building systems that can read, reason, and understand.
Applicants for Research Scientist at AI2 should have a strong foundation (typically PhD level) in one or more of the following areas: natural language processing, machine reading, automatic knowledge base construction, large-scale textual inference and entailment, knowledge representation and reasoning, computer vision and machine learning, or question answering and explanation. We look favorably upon extensive work experience and publishing demonstrating application of your research.
Who We Are:
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly– chances are you will like every one of the 100+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call us at 206-548-5600.