Allen AI Predoctoral Young Investigator, PRIOR
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence (AI2) is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of (AI2) is to contribute to humanity through high-impact AI research and engineering.
AI2’s Perceptual Reasoning and Interaction Research team (PRIOR) seeks to advance computer vision to create AI systems that see, explore, learn, and reason about the world.
The Allen AI Predoctoral Young Investigator is a 1-3 year residency program. It offers predoctoral candidates the opportunity to prepare for graduate-level research through partnership with strong mentors, participation in cutting edge research, and co-authorship of papers at top venues. This program aims to position candidates for successful entry into a top graduate program.
- Gain strong research experience through direct collaboration with AI2 researchers
- Co-author papers with AI2 researchers and get published in top venues
- Learn about and leverage AI2’s data, engineering infrastructure, and research tools
- Assistance with graduate school vetting and application
- Generous travel budget
- Financial and legal support for visa acquisition
As a PYI in the PRIOR team, you will have the opportunity to work in a variety of research areas including:
- Embodied AI
- Language and Vision
- Visual knowledge extraction
- Visual reasoning
- Representation learning
- Scene analysis and understanding
- Recognition, detection and segmentation
- Efficient deep learning
- And more ...
What You Will Need:
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in a relevant field with a desire to enter a PhD program in the next 1-3 years
- Relevant coursework such as computer vision, deep learning, machine learning
- Research background via publications or projects in computer vision, machine learning, natural language processing, etc.
- Prototyping skills to implement preliminary research ideas
- Experience with deep learning frameworks (e.g., PyTorch, Tensorflow, etc.)
- Strong collaboration skills - our environment is small and collaborative, and we'd like you to thrive on working closely with others.
- Publications in top-tier computer vision or machine learning conferences
- Strong Mathematics background or high grades in Mathematics courses
- Strong software development skills
- High GPA in relevant courses
- Experience with cloud services (e.g., AWS and Azure)
Who We Are:
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization– because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity -We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion -We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly– chances are you will like every one of the 100+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or you may call us at 206-548-5600.