Director of Product Management, Semantic Scholar
If your ambition is to join a passionate, mission-driven team working at the cutting edge of product and technology, Semantic Scholar may be the perfect opportunity for you.
In this role, your goal will be to take what started as a groundbreaking research project and drive its evolution into a fully functional and desirable consumer product that inspires viral adoption and retention. You will lead the product team and build functionality that drives widespread adoption of this AI-powered academic research tool. Our goal is to accelerate scientific progress by making Semantic Scholar a tool that millions of Scholars use every day to increase their impact.
Who are we?
Semantic Scholar (semanticscholar.org) is a free, AI-powered research tool for scientific literature. We have grown from a groundbreaking research project at the Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence to a product millions of scholars use every week. Semantic Scholar uses artificial intelligence to extract the semantics, or meaning, of scientific literature and surface it to our users through a discovery experience that helps them understand science more effectively than any other tool.
Since our launch in 2015, we have indexed more than 180 million research papers and built a user base of millions of scholars in over 100 countries. Our work has been featured in the New York Times, Wired, Nature, Science, and many other publications.
Who are you?
In your career, you have invented, launched, and supported products that have delivered outstanding impact to your users. You have a track record of delivering product releases on regular cadence against ambitious goals and time pressure. You have led disruptive change, but have also managed the chaos of disruption.
You are passionate about users and have demonstrated strong judgment and product insight. You have experience working with multiple functional areas that contribute to product success such as design, user research, and product marketing.
You are experienced in managing product roadmaps from conception to launch, defining product vision, developing go-to-market strategy, leading design discussions, and building and managing a team.
While experience building AI-powered products is desired for this role, it is not required.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field or equivalent experience
- 7+ years of product management experience, including 4+ years hiring and managing junior product managers
- Strong organizational skills, with experience developing and managing a prioritized roadmap
- Strong analytical skills to assess the impact of product launches and A/B experiments
- Experience driving product vision, go-to-market strategy, and design discussions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience representing product and vision at external speaking events
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to influence multiple stakeholders both with and without direct authority
- Experience developing consumer Internet products and technologies
- MS, MBA, or PhD in a technology or business-related field
- Experience working as an academic or in a research environment
- Entrepreneurial experience as a founder or co-founder
- Experience developing AI-based products
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization– because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity -We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion -We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly– chances are you will like every one of the 100+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.