We are actively seeking an Engineer to join our AI & Fairness Project team. AI & Fairness (https://allenai.org/fairness/) is AI2’s latest project building on our expertise in NLP, computer vision, and engineering to deliver a tangible positive impact on fairness.
- Design and build new demos or prototypes similar to those at: https://allenai.org/demos/
- Design and build backend systems involving state-of-the-art NLP and/or vision methods
- Proficiency in Python
- Familiarity with Unix-like systems and cloud services (e.g., AWS and Azure)
- Experience building deep learning models (e.g., using PyTorch) is a plus
- Expertise in at least one of the areas of frontend, backend, or infrastructure software development with a desire and willingness to learn and contribute to our other stacks as required
- The ability to move across our stack, ranging from low-level GPUs to high-level frontend design, thinking at different levels of abstraction and detail as required
- Experience building systems at scale
- Strong software development skills
- A proven track record of getting things done
- Strong collaboration skills—we are a team working closely together to leverage each other's superpowers as well as cover each other's weaknesses
- The ability to meld both the short-term needs and priorities with our long-term vision in day-to-day, iteration-to-iteration, and quarter-to-quarter decisions
- Background in natural language processing or machine learning is a plus
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization– because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity -We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion -We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly– chances are you will like every one of the 100+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.