We're constantly looking for great EIRs to co-found companies with us! Like any startups, this is an extremely hands-on role, best suited for someone willing to roll up sleeves and put in long hours—for many months or years. But alas, at the end of the day, there isn't a better job on Earth than building the next big startup. And there isn't a better partner than the Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence!
- Generate insights that solve problems in big and/or expanding markets.
- Conceive of novel solutions and validate them with representative customers.
- Clarify and validate value proposition and key features.
- Devise and validate go-to-market strategy.
- Close early sales.
- Cultivate a winning culture.
- Attract, retain, and develop world-class talent.
- Ideally, 5+ years starting companies and leading them to scale or purchase.
- Ideally, proven track record raising and negotiating venture funding.
- If no direct startup experience, at least 7+ years of building successful products to launch and exponential growth from the ground up.
- Experience managing a Board of Directors and corporate stakeholders.
- Ability to lay out a clear and compelling vision
- A track record of successfully executing against a vision.
- Ability to attract, recruit, and retain top talent.
- Ability to be tremendously adaptable and devise a path forward in situations with limited clarity.
- Unquestionable integrity with a bias towards action.
- Ability to make decisions and manage people based on evidence and data, not opinions.
- FINDING YOUR MOMENTUM
- Help with recruiting permanent co-founders (either technical or business).
- Access to private AI-related lectures from leading researchers in the field.
- Access to free office spaces and lunches 3x/week.
- Access to our exclusive community of entrepreneurs and technologists.
- Investment of a monthly stipend to help cover expenses while building your startup.
- Investment of laptops and other hardware, as needed and as appropriate.
- BUILDING PRODUCT TRACTION
- $100,000 in free Amazon AWS credits and $100,000 in free Google GCP credits.
- Coaching on business, sales, marketing, and go-to-market strategy.
- Coaching on integrating AI into your product from some of the best in the world.
- Intros to AI2's network for market research or pilots, as appropriate.
- BUILDING YOUR COMPANY
- Access to discounted incorporation packages from several leading law firms.
- Investment of incorporation costs and provisional patents, as appropriate.
- Investment of additional cash as warranted by traction.
- Coaching on fundraising strategy and investor pitch presentations.
- Intros to investors in the AI2/Vulcan network, as appropriate.
- and so much more!
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
jWe are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
We are friendly – chances are you will like every one of the 70+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call us at 206-548-5600.