Why this role is important
We are looking for a Game Designer to help us with designing and coding in Unity3D. We have developed a framework in Unity3D that includes a library of assets and a codebase to interact with those objects in the scenes. Our goal is to extend and improve the framework. Here is the link to the framework: http://ai2thor.allenai.org
This is a temporary position (6 months) at approx. 12 hours / week.
What you’ll be doing:
- Enabling rigid-body physics in our framework by adding mass, friction, and other physical properties to objects and structures.
- Planning and adding colliders to some of our objects and structures.
- Ensuring that we can navigate and interact with the objects and structures without error or instability.
- Create a consistent naming method for our scenes.
- Upgrade our project from Unity 5.4.6 to Unity 2017.3.
- Debug and remove errors such as "Convex hull has more than 255 polygons" or "Non-convex mesh collider with non-kinematic rigidbody".
- Adding audio to the framework.
- Other tasks as assigned.
What you’ll come with:
- Experience building games in Unity3D.
- Strong collaboration skills; our environment is small and collaborative, and we'd like you to thrive on working closely with others.
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through how we treat each member of the AI2 Team! Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning right alongside us;
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave;
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures;
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door;
- We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States;
- We are friendly – chances are you will like every one of the 70+ (and growing!) people who work here. We do!
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call us at 206-548-5600.