That’s No Moon Entertainment is an independent AAA game development studio established in 2021 by veterans of some of the most recognizable and critically acclaimed creative teams in the world, including Naughty Dog, Infinity Ward, Santa Monica Studio, Bungie, PlayStation, and more. Based in Los Angeles and San Diego, That’s No Moon Entertainment is creating the next generation of narrative-driven, genre-defining experiences built upon a culture of creativity, collaboration, responsible production practices, and individual empowerment. We are assembling a diverse team of passionate developers of a wide range of experience levels and backgrounds to help shape the future of our studio and projects.
We are seeking a highly skilled Lead Lighting Artist with an eye for color, light, composition and contrast who will craft beautiful real-time rendered lighting scenarios for in-game and cinematic AAA content. As Lead, you will define the studio lighting workflows and will provide feedback and guidance to ensure that they achieve our ambitious visual goals. Working closely with our Art and Visual Development Directors, you will help set the bar for lighting and push the industry to new heights of realism, mood, gameplay and storytelling!
- Develop and communicate workflow and best practices for lighting and materials within Unreal 5 Engine.
- Build visual targets, create mood boards, and gather reference to define lighting goals and expectations.
- Work with Tech Art and Engineering teams to develop tools, solve technical challenges, and set performance benchmarks.
- Collaborate with the Art and Visual Development Directors, Material Experts and Environment lead on the intersection of lighting, materials and rendering.
- Educate and clearly articulate lighting and rendering concepts and processes to other departments through presentations, demonstrations, and discussions.
- Collaborate with the other Art Leads to craft test beds and lighting scenarios to review characters, props, and materials in ideal conditions.
- Prioritize, plan, and organize tasks for your team that align with Production goals.
- Drive R&D on novel solutions and technology to improve quality and efficiency of lighting, rendering and materials.
Requirements & Skills:
- 5 or more years of experience in real-time lighting and rendering.
- Experience leading, mentoring, and managing a team of artists with a focus on their skills and career development, work/life balance, and general well-being.
- Understanding of lighting performance and memory budgets.
- Experience with task planning and tracking.
- Basic knowledge of physical photography and how aperture, shutter speed, and focal length work together.
- (Bonus) Experience with display calibration and HDR color grading.
- (Bonus) Experience with Unreal Blueprints and Sequencer.
- (Bonus) Film lighting, Film surfacing/material and/or game material experience.
- Self-motivated and able to work well in a multi-discipline team environment
- Strong and empathetic leader invested in the success and development of their team
- Able to communicate effectively, give constructive feedback and adapt to creative and art direction.
- Adapt in a positive, proactive manner to the fluidity of real-time game production realities
That's No Moon is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ancestry, color, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, legally protected physical or mental disability, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.