Who We Are
Tesseract’s mission is to democratize healthcare delivery to everyone on a global scale. We are reinventing medical devices to leverage the health information in the human eye and championing a new era of healthcare by creating portable, affordable, easy to use, connected devices for early disease detection and monitoring. Tesseract is well-funded and recently raised a series B round of $80M.
We are part of 4Catalyzer - a rapidly growing health-tech incubator founded by Dr. Jonathan Rothberg, an award-winning scientist and highly successful serial entrepreneur. Our 4Catalyzer sister companies include Butterfly Network, the first whole-body Ultrasound-on-ChipTM, and Hyperfine, the first FDA-cleared portable MRI. We are fostering a culture of technical excellence and positive teamwork to solve real-world problems that help improve healthcare for billions of people around the world.
Joining Tesseract is the opportunity to redesign the future of healthcare through the power of technology. Join us on this journey to maximize global impact, motivated by the idea that our products will change lives, including the ones of people you love.
What We Live By
- Patients First: We are driven to make products that will improve people’s lives.
- Data-Driven: We search for the best solutions: objective, backed by data, and optimized for speed, simplicity and scale.
- Team-Oriented: We collaborate with and support each other every step of the way.
What You Will Be Doing
As the Algorithms and Machine Learning Lead, you will play a pivotal role in the success of our machine learning efforts to bring the best product to our customers. You will lead the development of statistical and machine learning prediction models, working closely with software engineers to implement these models at scale. You will mentor and guide other members of the algorithms and machine learning team. We are looking for a leader who can thrive in a startup environment, thinks big, can move fast, and wants to change the way healthcare is delivered.
As part of our team, your core responsibilities will be to:
- Lead the development of cutting edge machine learning solutions for image segmentation and classification, to develop large scale solutions on ophthalmic datasets that will impact current healthcare delivery workflows
- Supervise the execution of deliverables for the machine learning team and mentor / lead other team members
- Advance the state of the art in applying recent methods in deep learning and computer vision to large retinal scans to enable accurate prediction models for disease diagnoses
- Drive scalable and efficient end-to-end solutions, putting Tesseract models into production to bring automated disease diagnosis algorithms to patients and doctors
- Design, code, evaluate and deploy solutions for disease prediction on Tesseract datasets
- Define best engineering and coding practices and strategy by reviewing projects for principles and content
- Stay up to date with the latest ML tools, literature and publications in deep learning and computer visions methods
What We Are Looking For
Baseline Skills, Experiences, & Attributes
- MS (PhD preferred) degree in Computer Science, Machine Learning / Artificial Intelligence or related technical field
- 5 years industry experience for software development in ML, Deep Learning, ML infrastructure working with large data sets
- Ability to drive the right decisions about technologies used and methodologies choices
- 10 years experience focused in medical image analysis and computer vision
- Strong experience with different deployment configurations including firmware, mobile, GPUs and cloud
- Knowledge and experience in infrastructure including cloud services (Amazon AWS), annotation tools and data pipelines
- Proficiency in python and machine learning frameworks and libraries: Tensorflow, Pytorch, Keras, Scikit-Learn, Pandas
- Experience with containerization and orchestration technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes, ECS, EKS
- Experience managing and leading teams of ML engineers and scientists
- You are passionate about delivering end-user experiences at the intersection of machine learning and health
- Experience in end-to-end ML pipelines for medical imaging applications
- Experience in real world monitoring of ML systems
- Experience in regulatory requirements for Software as a Medical Device, including ML systems
What We Offer
- Fully covered medical insurance plan, and dental & vision coverage (as a health-tech company, we place great worth on our team’s well-being)
- Competitive salaried compensation (you should feel appropriately valued and excited to join us)
- Equity (employees are important and should have a stake in our success)
- Pre-tax commuter benefits (let’s make your commute costs more reasonable)
- Free onsite meals + kitchen stocked with snacks at our Guilford, CT campus (sponsored brain fuel)
- While we would love to see you face to face everyday, we are flexible and open to people being remote. We will always have opportunities to meet your coworkers off the screen at one of our many team outings. (no pressure though)
- 401k plan (everyone should be encouraged to save for their retirement adventures)
- The opportunity to build a revolutionary healthcare product and save millions of lives!
For this role, we provide visa assistance for qualified candidates.
Tesseract does not accept agency resumes.
Tesseract is an E-Verify and equal opportunity employer regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability or Veteran status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.