Who We Are
Tesseract’s mission is to democratize healthcare delivery to everyone on a global scale. We are reinventing medical devices to leverage the health information in the human eye and championing a new era of healthcare by creating portable, affordable, easy to use, connected devices for early disease detection and monitoring. Tesseract is well-funded and recently raised a series B round of $80M.
We are part of 4Catalyzer - a rapidly growing health-tech incubator founded by Dr. Jonathan Rothberg, an award-winning scientist and highly successful serial entrepreneur. Our 4Catalyzer sister companies include Butterfly Network, the first whole-body Ultrasound-on-ChipTM, and Hyperfine, the first FDA-cleared portable MRI. We are fostering a culture of technical excellence and positive teamwork to solve real-world problems that help improve healthcare for billions of people around the world.
Joining Tesseract is the opportunity to redesign the future of healthcare through the power of technology. Join us on this journey to maximize global impact, motivated by the idea that our products will change lives, including the ones of people you love.
What We Live By
- Patients First: We are driven to make products that will improve people’s lives.
- Data-Driven: We search for the best solutions: objective, backed by data, and optimized for speed, simplicity and scale.
- Team-Oriented: We collaborate with and support each other every step of the way.
What You Will Be Doing
As the Principal Imaging Engineer, you will play a critical role in helping the company achieve its mission of using the eye as a window to health for democratizing healthcare.
As part of our team, your core responsibilities will be to:
- System design to support complex ophthalmic imaging systems including optical coherence tomography within defined user needs.
- Working closely with electrical, mechanical, and software teams to ensure optimal imaging performance
- Supporting build of bench prototypes to demonstrate capabilities of the designs
- Working closely with product management to understand user requirements and translating into specifications
- Following medical device design and development processes to allow traceability and team-wide collaboration
- Participating in design for manufacturing efforts and enhancing designs based on manufacturability
- Understanding cost and performance tradeoffs
- Participating in generating new intellectual property for the company
- Team and goal oriented while embracing shared values and being excited about team’s mission to democratize healthcare
What We Are Looking For
Baseline Skills, Experiences, & Attribute
- Strong background in imaging system design and development related to optical coherence tomography. With a minimum 15 years of experience and demonstrated capabilities required
- Strong background in ophthalmic optics required. Minimum 10 years of experience in devices related to imaging, treatment or other expertise related to ophthalmics
- Fluency in utilization of optical design tools like Zemax, Solidworks and others
- Strong understanding of practical aspects of optical imaging systems, including understanding of opto-mechanics systems, light sources including lasers, SLDs, LEDs and their drive characteristics, light sensors including CCDs, APDs and others
- Demonstrated teamwork ability including working harmoniously in cross functional teams to achieve company level objectives is a must
- Background in medical devices and understanding of ISO 13485 and FDA regulations is strongly preferred. Minimum 5 years in the medical device industry are highly preferred
- Masters or higher degrees in a domain related to optical science or engineering are highly preferred
- Experience with Fundus, Optical Coherence Tomography, and/or Fluorescence Lifetime Imaging highly preferred
What We Offer
- Fully covered medical insurance plan, and dental & vision coverage (as a health-tech company, we place great worth on our team’s well-being)
- Competitive salaried compensation (you should feel appropriately valued and excited to join us)
- Equity (employees are important and should have a stake in our success)
- Pre-tax commuter benefits (let’s make your commute costs more reasonable)
- Free onsite meals + kitchen stocked with snacks at our Guilford, CT campus (sponsored brain fuel)
- While we would love to see you face to face everyday, we are flexible and open to people being remote. We will always have opportunities to meet your coworkers off the screen at one of our many team outings. (no pressure though)
- 401k plan (everyone should be encouraged to save for their retirement adventures)
- The opportunity to build a revolutionary healthcare product and save millions of lives!
For this role, we provide visa assistance for qualified candidates.
Tesseract does not accept agency resumes.
Tesseract is an E-Verify and equal opportunity employer regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability or Veteran status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.