We are seeking an experienced Soil Scientist to join our multi-disciplinary Soil Carbon and Plant Intelligence team that are working on ambitious, world-changing initiatives. The successful candidate will be leading the development, execution, and maintenance of field program through extensive research and assessment of soil characteristics.
The successful candidate will make a huge impact, as their deliverables will contribute to the revolutionary solution as part of the world-renowned Global Centre for Regenerative Agriculture - aimed to bring together farmers and clean technology to turn climate change, economic crisis, and food insecurity into opportunities.
Terramera will provide relocation assistance and work permit sponsorship to the successful candidate. Compensation will be commensurate with experience and other relevant qualifications.
To translate advanced soil science studies into implementation of evidence-based soil health practices in the agriculture sector.
Reporting to the Head of Soil Carbon, the Soil Scientist works closely with biologists, engineers, data scientists, roboticists, and field trial specialists within the multi-disciplinary Research & Development and Soil Carbon groups.
- Direct the research & development program of soil research and conduct comprehensive soil classification surveys and site inspections
- Study various organisms in the soil upon collection of soil samples
- Investigate issues and long-term risks of soil quality and monitor activities to assure compliance with applicable regulations
- Advise stakeholders, management, and different teams on course of action based on findings and data analysis of soil samples from a range of environments
- Test digital data collection devices and evaluate performance and contribute to improvements
- Monitor trials through regular communication and onsite visits with cooperators
- Assist in developing relationships with external partners such as research partners and key regional influencers
- Prepare documented proposals and projections to establish research base with high efficacy
- Stay abreast of new opportunities and industry trends in soil study design
- Perform other related duties in keeping with the purpose and accountabilities of the job
- Post-secondary education (Bachelors, Masters or PhD) in Crop Science, Agronomy, Agrology, Environmental Science, Soil Science, Biology, Ecology, Plant Physiology or in relevant field
- Minimum 3 years of experience in soil science and/or supporting the planning of and executing research field trials
- Knowledge of automated data collection technologies and experience with transport and deployment of technical equipment for field trials
- Knowledge of complexities and variables present in field trial work
- Experience specializing in related discipline in environmental science or engineering consulting, public sector, research-focused arena is an asset
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, GIS software (e.g., ArcGIS and ArcMap) and related tools
- Valid Driver’s license
- Demonstrated physical ability and flexibility to travel and work in irregular hours and settings
- Positive attitude and confidence in developing and managing relationships with external parties
- Exemplary work ethic, versatility, and communication
- Strong organizational skills followed by excellent execution
- Adapts quickly and copes effectively to changing priorities and conditions
- Ability to multitask within ambiguous, fast-moving, complex environments while also driving toward clarity and creative solutions
- Takes initiative, generating new and innovative approaches to problems
- Strong interest in environmentalism, such as climate change and regenerative agriculture
- Vancouver, BC, Canada
WHO WE ARE
Terramera is a globally-recognized cleantech leader focused on fusing AI, science and nature to create revolutionary technologies that transform how we grow food and solve other world-scale challenges. With its Actigate™ Targeted Performance technology and mission to unlock the intelligence in nature to ensure a world that thrives and provides for everyone, Terramera is committed to reducing global synthetic chemical loads in agriculture by 80 percent while increasing global farm productivity by 20 percent by 2030. The privately held company was founded in 2010 and has grown to include a world-class bench of engineers, scientists, advisors and investors. Terramera is headquartered in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, has integrated operations that include state-of-art research labs, robotics workshop, greenhouse and farm, and has 250+ patents in its IP portfolio.
Our success begins with our people. We’re looking for A-Players who are passionate about making a difference as we are and thrive in environments that are dynamic, challenging and rewarding. Join our movement, as we set a new standard and change the world together as a highly dedicated, innovative, future-focused and solutions-oriented team.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only short-listed candidates will be contacted. For more information on Terramera, please visit our website at www.terramera.com
Terramera is committed to a diverse workforce and we are an equal opportunity employer.
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.