Infrastructure Engineer Summary:
Tenstreet is a fast-growing, market-dominating SaaS-based solutions provider to the trucking industry. Tenstreet’s platform is hosted between its own hardware within a colocation facility and the Google Cloud Platform. Tenstreet’s Infrastructure team handles everything necessary to manage a highly scalable and secure environment, including specifying, purchasing, implementing, administering, securing, and monitoring hardware, software, and third-party services.
Our infrastructure engineering team has broad expertise in on-prem and cloud architecture, performance, security, system administration, network administration and analysis, database administration, automation, incident response, troubleshooting, access control, and audit.
A perfect fit for this Infrastructure Engineer position isn’t a person who already has deep experience with every specific tool and technology we use in our environment (some of which are mentioned below).
Rather, our perfect fit is a person who has a demonstrated ability to learn, implement, and manage technologies that may be new to the person. Further, this is a person who makes sound decisions and gets stuff done. The Infrastructure Engineer works within an established framework of standards and procedures, but operates with tremendous autonomy and responsibility.
As an Infrastructure Engineer you’ll be specifically responsible for:
- On premises and cloud VM-based server administration, including the designing, building, monitoring, and securing of various Linux virtual servers and containers.
- Managing our NetApp storage tier and other file servers.
- Using tools such as Ansible Tower to automate routine activities (server building and provisioning, administration activities, configuration management, etc.)
- Working with our development and product teams to ensure the infrastructure scales and meets the needs of the business
- Using monitoring and analysis tools such as Datadog and Wazuh IDS to collect and analyze system performance metrics for capacity planning, proactive response, and troubleshooting.
- The application and oversight of information security controls across various operating environments.
- Understanding and assisting in the management of our network infrastructure, including firewalls, switches, and third-party services such as Cloudflare for WAF/DDOS.
More broadly, as an Infrastructure Engineer, you’ll be responsible for:
- Building and supporting resilient and scalable systems that achieve high availability.
- Managing environmental and architectural changes with a mind to maximize the pace of implementation without compromising security or functionality.
- Identifying technological and procedural impediments to Tenstreet, devising solutions to improve the company’s effectiveness.
- Coherently communicating technical topics and concerns to a diverse assortment of internal and external audiences.
- Administration of a variety of applications and services for both internal and external users.
- Balancing the need to "keep things running" with allocating time to long-term, high-impact projects.
- Mentoring or training other team members and colleagues from other roles.
- Participating in on-call rotations.
- Troubleshooting and resolving production issues (hardware/software/applications).
You might be a good fit as an Infrastructure Engineer if you:
- Have demonstrated the ability to learn new technologies that may or may not be related to what you already know.
- Make sound decisions and work well both autonomously and with a team.
- Have at least 5+ years experience in Linux systems administration, especially coming from a DevOps-oriented background.
- Have experience with an assortment of common applications and protocols, such as Apache, MySQL, NFS, Squid, Redis, Docker, DHCP, SSH, DNS, LDAP, SMTP, etc.
- Have some software development and scripting experience, preferably using common interpreted languages (PHP, Perl, Python, Ruby, etc.)
- Have a knack for problem solving, asking the right questions and gathering the right data to take appropriate action.
- Have experience with configuration management and automation tools (Ansible preferred).
- Have a thorough understanding of networking concepts (OSI model, NAT, VLANs, packet filtering, application proxies, etc.)
- Are comfortable working alone when necessary, hunting down answers, thinking critically and solving problems.
- Play well with others and have learned to collaborate, disagree, compromise, and build new things with a team.
- Have the ability to juggle multiple projects with competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Can communicate well and can walk others through complex processes and problems easily and naturally. This includes both written and verbal communications.
- Jump at the chance to deploy automated solutions to eliminate toil.
What we’ll provide you:
- A great compensation plan
- A positive and generative work environment enabling you to develop your skills, collaborate with other professionals and invest in others.
- A work community that strives to take great care of you through great benefits like health insurance, dental, vision, 401k, PTO and others.