Welcome to Lightspeed LA (Irvine), the first U.S.-based, AAA game development studio for Tencent Games, where we are focused on building open-world games that emphasize an ambitious living world, sophisticated player-driven gameplay, and mature, thoughtful storytelling!
Why join Lightspeed LA (Irvine)?
Creation is the soul of our studio. For us, it’s not only about the exciting, new AAA open world game we’re developing, but also about team values and studio culture. We foster an open and transparent environment where everyone feels comfortable providing constructive feedback about all aspects of our games.
- We encourage the showing of work that’s still in progress
- We don’t attack or question unfinished work, we celebrate its promise
- We have a No Blame Culture where we blame the problem, not the person
This is a safe place to fail, and we don't view failure as a negative, but as the natural result of pushing boundaries and exploring new ideas.
We create together. We face challenges together. Most importantly, we succeed together.
LightSpeed LA is seeking for a talented and enthusiastic senior UI engineer to join our new studio in sunny Irvine California. The ideal candidate will have a strong passion for games and solving ambitious technical and creative problems. Join us and help build a team and culture of mutual respect and passion that pushes boundaries while having lots of fun!
- Design, implement, and support quality UI systems that integrate elegantly with the game code
- Work closely with artists to establish the overall vision for the game UI
- Collaborate directly and proactively with engineers, designers, artists, and QA to explore and identify needs and opportunities
- Cultivate strong cross-disciplinary working relationships based on honesty and transparency
- Author lean, high-performance, maintainable code
- Actively profile and optimize the UI codebase
- Participate in the testing and documentation of game systems and tools
- Mentor, develop, and learn from colleagues
- Help build and maintain an open and energetic team culture
- Passion for game look and feel
- Enthusiasm for creating fun and engaging gameplay through iteration and innovation
- 5+ years of professional game programming experience
- Experience building UI for PC and console games
- Expert in C++ and debugging with proficiency in 3D math
- Awareness of the state of the art in UI frameworks and techniques
- Enjoy working closely with creative and technical team members
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Value lean, simple, efficient, well-tested code
- Experience working with AAA engines
- Experience with game console hardware
- Knowledge of other major game and engine systems, such as animation, particles, physics, graphics, AI, or scripting
Perks and Benefits:
Just some of the benefits of working with us here at our newly built studio in Irvine, CA.
- Beverages, fresh fruit, and snacks
- 401k with employer match
- Monthly Cell phone bill reimbursement
- Financial wellness sessions
- Flexible spending account
- Team building and company outings
- Parental leave for new parents
- Company paid health insurance
- Life and disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Wellness training
- Travel insurance
- Preventive care
To prioritize health and safety during the pandemic, we are working remotely until further notice, and will be conducting interviews virtually. The position is still expected to be 100% onsite in Irvine, California as soon as it is appropriate.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion at Tencent:
Diversity, equity and inclusion are important, interdependent components of our workplace. As an equal opportunity employer, we firmly believe that diverse voices fuel our innovation and allow us to better serve our users and the community. We foster an environment where every employee of Tencent feels supported and inspired to achieve individual and common goals.