Welcome to Lightspeed LA (Irvine), the first U.S.-based, AAA game development studio for Tencent Games, where we are focused on building open-world games that emphasize an ambitious living world, sophisticated player-driven gameplay, and mature, thoughtful storytelling!
Why join Lightspeed LA (Irvine)?
Creation is the soul of our studio. For us, it’s not only about the exciting, new AAA open world game we’re developing, but also about team values and studio culture. We foster an open and transparent environment where everyone feels comfortable providing constructive feedback about all aspects of our games.
- We encourage the showing of work that’s still in progress
- We don’t attack or question unfinished work, we celebrate its promise
- We have a No Blame Culture where we blame the problem, not the person
This is a safe place to fail, and we don't view failure as a negative, but as the natural result of pushing boundaries and exploring new ideas.
We create together. We face challenges together. Most importantly, we succeed together.
LightSpeed LA is seeking for a talented and enthusiastic senior engineer to join our new studio in sunny Irvine California. The ideal candidate will have a strong passion for games and enabling content creators to deliver the most polished experience for our players. Join our team of industry veterans and help us build a team and culture of respect that pushes boundaries while having lots of fun.
- Help maintain culture of fast iteration and practical problem solving
- Help establish budgets for engine systems and pipeline tools to validate them
- Refactor existing systems to spread work across multiple cores and frames (e.g. Data streaming)
- Refactor existing systems and tools to handle large worlds with dynamic content
- Evolve iteratively existing systems into state of art solutions
- Mentor others to make the best use of engine systems and hardware capability
- Passion for games and the technology that makes them come to life
- 5+ years of professional experience in C++ programming in game industry
- Shipped at least one game title on PC and Consoles
- Expert C++ knowledge and debugging skills
- Excellent understanding of PC and console hardware bottlenecks and optimization strategies
- Deep understanding of multithreaded programming
- Experience in at least two game engine systems (e.g. Animation, AI, Physics, Rendering, Networking, Scripting, Audio)
- Value lean, simple, efficient, well-tested code
- Comfortable maintaining existing large codebase for multiple platforms
- Team player who works closely with other engineers to make sure our technology provides reliable and fast iteration for our content creators, and a fluid experience for our customers
- Experience building AAA engine(s)
- Deep understanding of game asset pipelines
- Experience building large world pipelines
Perks and Benefits:
Just some of the benefits of working with us here at our newly built studio in Irvine, CA.
- Beverages, fresh fruit, and snacks
- 401k with employer match
- Monthly Cell phone bill reimbursement
- Financial wellness sessions
- Flexible spending account
- Team building and company outings
- Parental leave for new parents
- Company paid health insurance
- Life and disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Wellness training
- Travel insurance
- Preventive care
To prioritize health and safety during the pandemic, we are working remotely until further notice, and will be conducting interviews virtually. The position is still expected to be 100% onsite in Irvine, California as soon as it is appropriate.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion at Tencent:
Diversity, equity and inclusion are important, interdependent components of our workplace. As an equal opportunity employer, we firmly believe that diverse voices fuel our innovation and allow us to better serve our users and the community. We foster an environment where every employee of Tencent feels supported and inspired to achieve individual and common goals.