AKESOgen, Inc. is growing! Our company is seeking to hire a Clinical Genetics Laboratory Supervisor – Extraction/Sample Management (AKESOgen)
Supervises clinical or research laboratory technical staff and support staff within a laboratory section or laboratory. Conducts staff evaluations and assists in inventory control, expense management and strategic planning. Coordinates quality monitoring, equipment evaluation, staff orientation and education, research, and/or safety and infection control. May perform laboratory testing procedures of high complexity. Assists in the review, interpretation, and reporting of complex and routine test results. Helps to coordinate workflow and oversees quality control activities in specialized areas of the lab. Assists in the development of new protocols in clinical and research programs. Provides technical guidance and training to employees and students. Maintains required record keeping. Adheres to laboratory policies and procedures. Performs related responsibilities as required.
The position requires the candidate to be extremely organized, have first class technical ability, and have experience building and managing a team in a high throughput environment. Working to tight deadlines, flexibility in approach, exceptional communication skills and attention to detail are essential.
- A bachelor's degree in biology, chemistry, or a related field and five to ten years of laboratory and supervisory experience. Certification by American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP) required.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the field of molecular biology along with strong knowledge of scientific concepts and effective research/clinical practices/procedures.
- Solid desire to learn and apply new scientific concepts that will speed the accomplishment of lab team member goals and objectives.
- Excellent balance of managerial and technical skills; effective staff management/development, technical research, project management, financial and operational reporting and strategic planning.
- Discretion in handling confidential information.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience with various extraction methodologies and sample types. Must be able to demonstrate understanding of the underlying principles and science behind extraction. Experience with automated platforms is strongly encouraged.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provide a high level of customer service and responsiveness to assigned clients as required.
- Work with the technical director to drive project workflows including creation of any project-related procedures (SOPs), work instructions, or other related documentation.
- Manage the project according to the Scope of Work and update as required with suitable change-control procedures
- Monitor timelines and budget to ensure each progresses according to plan. Proactively alert internal management and/or client of any deviations from the agreed plan
- Have demonstrated hands-on experience with laboratory procedures. Experience in a CLIA, CAP or GCP environment preferred.
- Investigate and remediate identified areas of nonconformance
- Maintain up-to-date accurate records both electronically and manually as required
- Assures department is in compliance with all regulatory guidelines. Assure proficiency testing is performed and is within acceptable guidelines of regulatory agencies.
- Performs or oversees training and signing off on competency for new personnel.
- Responsible for instrument upkeep, updates to procedures, inventory and general workflow of the department.
- Brings new testing in house as indicated by the needs of the business. Creates written procedures and ensures all staff assigned to their department are trained on the new procedure and training is documented appropriately.
- Performs or oversees all Quality Control and Quality Assurance functions for the department.
Risk for Pathogen Exposure: According to this position description, there is potential for exposure to pathogens or chemicals.
- Adherence to standard universal precautions.
- Exposure to biological and chemical hazards.