Passionate about making a difference in the world of cancer genomics?
With the advent of genomic sequencing, we can finally decode and process our genetic makeup. We now have more data than ever before but industrial researchers don't have the infrastructure or expertise to make sense of this data. We're on a mission to connect an entire ecosystem to redefine how genomic and clinical data is used for evidence-based medicine.
We are seeking a highly motivated and capable bioinformatics data scientist with extensive experience and interest in translational cancer research. This position requires experience using real-world data for pharmaceutical research. Top candidates will also have experience with scientific programming, relational data systems, and statistical modeling.
What you’ll do
As part of the external data science team at Tempus, you’ll be on the front lines of our collaborations with external partners, helping them apply cutting-edge data science techniques to unique cancer datasets. Your work will be part of the foundation of the next layer of research questions: you will be responsible for implementing and/or developing bioinformatics tools to address biological questions that query cancer datasets, and for communicating results and scientific findings on a regular basis, using appropriate communication and visualization tools commonly used in biological research.
- Advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in bioinformatics, oncology, genomics, computer science or mathematics or related field, or 5+ years experience working with genomic and clinical data in cancer
- Familiarity with some standard bioinformatics pipelines
- Excellent communication and project management skills
- Experience with statistical modeling, data mining and/or machine learning
- Proficiency in R or python and/or other programming languages
- Collaborative mindset, an eagerness to learn and a high integrity work ethic
- Experience working with gene expression data
- Experience or familiarity with variant calling methods and/or interpretation
- Experience working with clinical cancer data (progression free vs overall survival, missing data etc)
- Experience putting data science workflows into production
- Experience with version control, software testing, AWS technical stack
- External outreach or education (consulting, giving talks, teaching, open source contributions)
Location: New York or New Jersey preferred, but candidates in Chicago or the San Francisco Bay Area will also be considered.