Do you enjoy working with people and teams, and helping them succeed? Do you like working in a scaling environment, with opportunities to take on more responsibility as we grow? We are ramping up our team and we want to hear from you!
About the position
We are looking for Engineering Managers who genuinely enjoy working with both people and technology. As an Engineering Manager, you will be the manager of one or more of our engineering teams, who are usually 4-6 engineers. At a high level, your responsibilities will be:
- Provide engineers with regular feedback and help them grow personally and professionally
- Contribute to and protect psychological safety and belongingness
- Act as a scrum master and agile coach
- Work with the team to continuously improve the performance of the team
While these responsibilities are at the core of the role, it is evolving as we grow as a company, and more responsibilities will be added over time, and depending on your profile and your personal development.
While technical experience and understanding is beneficial, the Engineering Manager is focused on people management. Therefore, your focus will be on the people and the team and helping them succeed instead of technical leadership. To achieve this, the most important skill of an Engineering Manager is working with people by facilitating, supporting, and coaching, both in group settings and individually.
How we work
- Teams: Each team consists of 4-6 engineers. Teams are cross-functional, self-organised and free to choose their own process, but most use a flavour of Scrum with a 2-week sprint. We believe in the lean principles - e.g. short feedback cycles, minimising handovers, and therefore each team has full responsibility for the features they own from development to deployment.
- Guilds: Guilds are a place to share knowledge and experiences, and to get help and ideas from others. We currently have a DevOps, Cloud, Back-end, Front-end, Security, QA, and Tracking guild.
- Architecture: We build software using a flavour of microservices called self-contained systems and we practice the principles of Domain Driven Design with Event Driven Architecture. Yet, we are careful to avoid over-engineering and always strive for the simplest solution possible.
- Test focused: We like to test the code we build, and we have a continuous integration infrastructure in place that runs our tests on every push and notifies the team on Slack if something breaks. Even when we are busy, we do not compromise on quality.
- DevOps mindset: We are cloud first, and everything is hosted in Microsoft Azure. Each team is responsible for deployments and monitoring of their own services. All work is managed through Azure DevOps including backlog management, source control, pull-requests, releases, and testing.
- Automation: We like to automate everything from deployment to setting up new infrastructure. We have built custom tools for configuring our local development environment, publish release notes to Wiki and Slack, nudge engineers about stale tasks, branches, and pull-requests, and more. When NPM or NuGet packages are updated a bot automatically creates a pull-request. All this enables us to do more than 30 daily releases to production on average!
- Design: We have a written coding standard, and we follow clean code principles. We develop most of our features using pair programming. Every change is peer-reviewed. We have tools for automatic code clean-up that ensure consistent formatting and structured and fail builds if any rule is violated.
- Tools: We use the best tools available for the job including Visual Studio 2019 Enterprise, ReSharper, Visual Studio Code, JetBrains Rider, Slack, Zoom, Git, Azure DevOps, Microsoft Azure, Docker Desktop, WSL2, SonarQube, Cypress, etc.
- Learning: We believe in lifelong learning and encourage everyone to read books, go to conferences, take courses, and certifications. We want to invest in everyone’s personal and professional development, and therefore we provide the necessary resources to support this. Every sprint we have internal Tech Talks and from time to time we also host and speak at meetups.
- Flexible: We have distributed teams across offices in Copenhagen, Berlin and Eindhoven. Yet, all meetings and work happen online. This gives us freedom to work from home when you have a repair person coming, your child is sick, etc., and also enabled us to initiate the necessary measures within a minimal amount of time when COVID-19 hit the world.
Technologies we use
- Backend: .NET, .NET Core 3.1, C# 8.0, Web API, Entity Framework, VSTO, etc.
- Front-end: TypeScript, React, Redux, Redux-Thunk, SCSS, CSS Modules, Jest, Cypress, Yarn, Rollup, Create-React-App, WPF, etc.
- Hosting: 100% Azure, Docker, Kubernetes (AKS), Web Apps, Terraform, Azure SQL, Azure Service Bus, Application Insights, Azure Monitor, Azure Data Lake, etc.
We expect you to:
- Have previous experience in managing individuals or a team.
- Have experience with agile software development practices.
- Have great people skills and really care for the professional development of your team.
- Be able to communicate well in English, both in speech and writing.
- Be structured in your work.
- Take responsibility and be proactive.
We are quite flexible in terms of your background. As an Engineering Manager, you need to understand the context in which you and your team are working in. This means that some level of knowledge in software development is necessary, but you don’t have to have a background as a software developer.
- Work closely with a department of more than 50 talented engineers and the rest of our business, all of whom are passionate about helping to create international success.
- Work with new technology and agile development processes.
- Work on a product that is an essential part of a million users daily workflow.
- Competitive salary and pension.
- Family-friendly environment and office hours.
- Yearly conference budget for each engineer.
- Annual company event, a Friday bar on the first Friday of every month.
All in all, at Templafy you will get a combination of stable working conditions, great colleagues, and genuine entrepreneurship in an equal opportunity workplace.
Our team is continuously growing. We kick off the recruitment process with a call with one of our Talent Acquisition Partners, who is curious to hear more about your background and would love to give you further details about the role and the company. That is being followed by an interview with our Senior Software Engineering Manager, focusing on people management and cultural fit. Depending on your technical background, there could be a technical interview as well.
Templafy is pioneering the content enablement category and defining the future of work by helping companies worldwide accelerate the business performance of content. Our platform allows companies to align workforces and effortlessly govern content while supporting teams and employees as they create on-brand, high-performing business content – like documents, presentations, and emails, faster. Templafy supports over 2.8M users and enables over 600 enterprise customers such as KPMG, IKEA, and BDO.
Founded in Copenhagen, Denmark, in 2014, Templafy's success is built by our 60+ employee nationalities found at offices in New York, Copenhagen, London, Berlin, Eindhoven, and Sydney. We believe when people feel they belong, have a voice, and feel heard, they are happier and perform better, and that way, everyone wins. Our innovation, diversity, and unique product have raised over $125 million in funding from Insight Venture Partners, Dawn Capital, and Blue Cloud Ventures. The future of work relies on content enabled by Templafy.
Startup and entrepreneurship are in our DNA, and the whole business understands that our success depends on our product. Templafy is built as a flat organisation where all employees are heard and are given room to influence the direction of the product, code, and architecture. If you have a great idea, we want to hear it!
Daily communication is in English. You will be working in our Copenhagen office where we offer a great and supportive work environment with amazing colleagues. We have regular team events like board games nights, football, basketball, painting class, etc. We grab lunch at a local restaurant next to Christianshavn Canal that serves as a canteen for us.
If you want to know more read this insider’s view of Life as a Senior Software Engineer at Templafy, or have a look at this video from our self-hosted 3 days Templafy Ignite conference 2019. The 2020 conference is postponed until circumstances permits it. If you would like to know more about what we are working on these days look watch this Templafy platform 2020 preview.
Templafy is a workplace of belongingness. To us this means that you have a voice, you dare to speak up, and your voice is heard. We focus on offering an environment that allows all employees to feel that they belong regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, genetic information, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or other status.