Do you enjoy working with the latest technologies to create rock-solid and highly available systems in the cloud? Would you like to help us implement Site Reliability practices to take our enterprise-class product to the next level? We are ramping up our team and we want to hear from you!
About the position
As a Site Reliability Engineer at Templafy you will continuously maintain and optimize our cloud environments for our products and will be responsible for handling incidents. Although we release multiple times a day, we only had one incident in off-hours so far! Our release process is 100% automated, including database migrations and infrastructure updates.
We believe in DevOps, so you will be working closely with our engineering team, especially the Cloud and DevOps guild, as well as security team, to design, build and maintain a highly available infrastructure. You will also be responsible for monitoring, dashboards, alerts, security, capacity planning, cost optimization, implementing a disaster recovery plan and continuously improving our incident management procedures. You will also be part of the rotation for being on call for production incidents.
How we work
- Teams: Each team consists of 4-6 engineers. Teams are cross-functional, self-organised and free to choose their own process, but most use a flavour of Scrum with a 2-week sprint. We believe in the lean principles - e.g. short feedback cycles, minimising handovers, and therefore each team has full responsibility for the features they own from development to deployment.
- Guilds: Guilds are a place to share knowledge and experiences, and to get help and ideas from others. We currently have a DevOps, Cloud, Back-end, Front-end, Security, QA, and Tracking guild.
- Architecture: We build software using a flavour of microservices called self-contained systems and we practice the principles of Domain Driven Design with Event Driven Architecture. Yet, we are careful to avoid over-engineering and always strive for the simplest solution possible.
- Test focused: We like to test the code we build, and we have a continuous integration infrastructure in place that runs our tests on every push and notifies the team on Slack if something breaks. Even when we are busy, we do not compromise on quality.
- DevOps mindset: We are cloud first, and everything is hosted in Microsoft Azure. Each team is responsible for deployments and monitoring of their own services. All work is managed through Azure DevOps including backlog management, source control, pull-requests, releases, and testing.
- Automation: We like to automate everything from deployment to setting up new infrastructure. We have built custom tools for configuring our local development environment, publish release notes to Wiki and Slack, nudge engineers about stale tasks, branches, and pull-requests, and more. When NPM or NuGet packages are updated a bot automatically creates a pull-request. All this enables us to do more than 30 daily releases to production on average!
- Design: We have a written coding standard, and we follow clean code principles. We develop most of our features using pair programming. Every change is peer-reviewed. We have tools for automatic code clean-up that ensure consistent formatting and structured and fail builds if any rule is violated.
- Tools: We use the best tools available for the job including Visual Studio 2019 Enterprise, ReSharper, Visual Studio Code, JetBrains Rider, Slack, Zoom, Git, Azure DevOps, Microsoft Azure, Docker Desktop, WSL2, SonarQube, Cypress, etc.
- Learning: We believe in lifelong learning and encourage everyone to read books, go to conferences, take courses, and certifications. We want to invest in everyone’s personal and professional development, and therefore we provide the necessary resources to support this. Every sprint we have internal Tech Talks and from time to time we also host and speak at meetups.
- Flexible: We have distributed teams across offices in Copenhagen, Berlin and Eindhoven. Yet, all meetings and work happen online. This gives us freedom to work from home when you have a repair person coming, your child is sick, etc., and also enabled us to initiate the necessary measures within a minimal amount of time when COVID-19 hit the world.
Technologies we use organized by relevance
- Backend: .NET 5.0, C# 9.0, Web API, Entity Framework, VSTO, etc.
- Frontend: React, Redux, TypeScript, CRA, SCSS, yarn, etc.
- Hosting: 100% Azure, Web Apps, Docker, Kubernetes, Helm 3, Terraform, Azure SQL, Azure Service Bus, Application Insights, Azure Data Lake, etc.
- Have broad experience with servicing high-volume or critical production service environments hosted in the cloud, preferably Azure
- Are experienced with Kubernetes and have a good understanding of how it works, and can configure, maintain and monitor Kubernetes clusters
- Strongly believe in automating as much as possible (Infrastructure-as-code, reducing toil) and have the engineering skills to achieve it.
- Work closely with a department of more than 50 talented engineers and the rest of our business, all of whom are passionate about helping to create international success.
- Work with new technology and agile development processes.
- Work on a product that is an essential part of a million users daily workflow.
- Competitive salary and pension.
- Family-friendly environment and office hours.
- Yearly conference budget for each engineer.
- Annual company event, a Friday bar on the first Friday of every month.
All in all, at Templafy you will get a combination of stable working conditions, great colleagues, and genuine entrepreneurship in an equal opportunity workplace.
We are hiring continuously as our team is growing constantly. As part of the job interview, you will be asked to join do some hands-on exercises.
Templafy is a successful fast growing SaaS company with global operations. We are passionate about improving document creation processes and workflows and are continuously advancing our product to best serve our customers. We are first to market in our space and have established a leading reputation with a growing customer base of global enterprises. Our innovation and unique product have raised over $60 million in funding from Insight Venture Partners and Dawn Capital, and our recent acquisitions have included the companies iWRITER and Napp. We have offices in Copenhagen, Eindhoven, Berlin, New York, London and Sydney. We are growing fast, with an international team of over 300 colleagues who represent more than 50 different nationalities. Templafy is an exciting, fast-paced and enthusiastic workplace where every day presents new challenges.
Startup and entrepreneurship are in our DNA, and the whole business understands that our success depends on our product. Templafy is built as a flat organisation where all employees are heard and are given room to influence the direction of the product, code, and architecture. If you have a great idea, we want to hear it!
Daily communication is in English. You will be working in our Eindhoven office in the heart of the city center where we offer a great and supportive work environment with amazing colleagues. We get together on Fridays after work, do lunch together in our office kitchen and have regular team events. Next to that, we are very actively using our soccer table and arcade game station.
If you want to know more read this insider’s view of Life as a Senior Software Engineer at Templafy, or have a look at this video from our self-hosted 3 days Templafy Ignite conference 2019. The 2020 conference is postponed until circumstances permits it. If you would like to know more about what we are working on these days look watch this Templafy platform 2020 preview.
Templafy is a workplace of belongingness. To us this means that you have a voice, you dare to speak up, and your voice is heard. We focus on offering an environment that allows all employees to feel that they belong regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, genetic information, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or other status.