Telnyx is a global communications platform and partner that powers carrier-grade services on an in-house built, private, cloud-agnostic IP network. We power voice, messaging, video, wireless, numbering, fax, security, and networking solutions for businesses all around the world. Whether we’re processing mission-critical communications, hosting enterprise-grade contact centers, or powering simple in-app messaging and calling, our APIs make secure, high-fidelity connectivity the new standard. We’re working to democratize worldwide access to real-time communications over the internet.
Telnyx is currently seeking Ruby Engineers in EMEA time zones
Backend API Engineer, Ruby
Build the core of Telnyx product, services and APIs in a spectacularly robust fashion.
At Telnyx, we’re working to globally democratize access to real-time communications over the internet. We’re building a future where voice, messaging, and wireless services can act as building blocks to facilitate high-fidelity, secure, and modern modes of communication. Telnyx’s backend engineers work on the business logic for all of that. As a backend engineer, you will build and expand APIs and services and work with our partners to launch new markets, communication methods, and capabilities.
We have backend engineers in almost every team across Telnyx, and in that role, you’ll be making some of the most significant decisions for the company. You’ll get to work with other engineers to build delightful features that span various parts of the system, as well as our business, sales, and operations teams to understand and solve our users’ pain points.
We’re looking for people with a strong background or interest in building successful products or systems; you’re comfortable in dealing with lots of moving pieces; you have exquisite attention to detail; and you’re comfortable learning new technologies and systems.
While you will be working extensively with Ruby in this position, we're always looking to expand to new best-in-class technologies, and you'll be using Elixir as well.
In This Role You Will
- Design, build and maintain APIs, services, and systems across Telnyx’s engineering teams.
- Debug production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack.
- Work with engineers across the company to build new features at large-scale.
- Improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes.
You May Be Fit For This Role If You Have
- Have 3+ years of professional software development experience with an object-oriented or functional programming language, ideally Ruby and Rails.
- Have some functional programming knowledge (professional/production experience not necessarily required), and a desire to learn and utilize Elixir.
- Have experience working with relational databases at scale.
- Have deep knowledge of microservice architecture patterns and anti-patterns.
- Have experience with message queues like RabbitMQ.
- Understanding of the challenges inherent in concurrent and distributed programming.
- Have experience with non-relational databases such as ElasticSearch, Mongo, or Redis.
- Have familiarity with Docker, Consul, Kubernetes, Jenkins, or Ansible.
How we work
Telnyx is a diverse, inclusive organization focused on solving problems, building intelligently, and documenting our logic. We’re a CPaaS and networking leader, with industry experts and engineers who have built our cloud-agnostic platform in-house, from the ground up. We’re a concierge customer success team and a 24/7 support team. We’re a communications partner, focused on agile innovation, not a telecom slogged in antiquated processes and anti-competitive regulation. We’re an enterprise-grade conversation enabler, powering the global, enriched, multi-channel communications that today’s customers demand.
We're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. We believe in transparency, proactivity, and mutual respect. We provide the high-grade tools that help you do your best work, and keep up the collaborative habits that help everyone stay in the loop. No matter where you're based or which team you’re on, you’re plugged in, supported, and helping to shape the future of communications.
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO) for full-time and contract employees
- Annual professional development budget
- Top-notch equipment
- Fitness & wellness stipend
- Monthly home cleaning stipend
You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Telnyx, we welcome diverse perspectives, rigorous thinkers and assumption challengers. Are you ready to join us?