At Telnyx, we’re working to globally democratize access to real-time communications over the internet. We’re building a future where voice, messaging, and wireless services can act as building blocks to facilitate high-fidelity, secure, and modern modes of communication.
As a VoIP Engineer you understand how the Telnyx Telephony Engine works as whole, while also being able to identify each underlying service and its purpose. You use this knowledge plus your experience working with VoIP technologies to design new features and guide software developers on their implementation. You assist other teams by triaging escalated issues and then working with all the involved parties until they are resolved. You are the subject matter expert for all topics that are telephony related, and when you don't know the answer you will know who to ask.
You work with users around the globe, where you help by solving their communications challenges. You’ll also get to work with other engineers to build delightful features that span various parts of the system, as well as our business, sales, and operations teams to understand and solve our users’ pain points.
We’re looking for people with a strong background in VoIP technologies and interest in building successful products or systems; you’re comfortable in dealing with lots of moving pieces; you have exquisite attention to detail; and you’re comfortable learning new technologies and systems.
In This Role You Will:
- Understand how all Telephony services work and how they are integrated to the platform.
- Operate, maintain, expand and support SIP proxies based on Kamailio or OpenSIPS applications.
- Handle level 3 troubleshooting escalations and triaging.
- Analyze telephony traffic patterns and identify issues and anomalies.
- React to critical alerts in order to rapidly return to a full-service state.
- Troubleshoot and resolve voice and network protocol communication issues.
- Interface with partner organizations for interconnections and expansions.
- Design, build, test, deploy and maintain monitoring, alerting, QA and logging tools for Telephony applications.
- Coordinate system maintenance and deployment events.
You May Be A Fit For This Role If You Have:
- A degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Telecommunications or similar.
- Strong understanding of IP telephony (VoIP), TCP/IP Networks and related protocols (SIP, RTP, RTCP, ISUP, TLS, STUN, TURN, WebRTC).
- Experience with Open Source VoIP applications such as Kamailio, OpenSIPS, FreeSWITCH, RTPEngine, Asterisk and open source tools such as Wireshark, sngrep and Homer.
- Experience with Linux, Open Source tools and shell scripting.
- Experience with containers and automation/orchestration tools such as Docker, Ansible, Jenkins, Kubernetes.
- Familiarity with programming in Python, Elixir or Go are a plus.
What It Is Like To Work At Telnyx:
Telnyx is a complex machine with a simple purpose: connect people. We are an intelligent telephony engine, the beating heart of the Telnyx service that routes data along the pathways of our global, private network. We are drop-in APIs for hooking applications into our products, and an administrator portal that puts unprecedented control of configuring and orchestrating the Telnyx service into our customers’ hands.
We’re also an organization of industry experts and engineers focused on solving problems and building solutions. We’re a concierge customer success team and a 24/7 support team. We’re a communications partner, focused on agile and endless innovation, not a telecom slogged in antiquated processes and anti-competitive regulation. We keep the conversation going: the always-on, omni-channel, enriched conversation that the modern world demands.
Communications are coming untethered from devices, and more and more, they’re migrating into our everyday platforms: our social media, our work applications and our collaboration tools. But, that move started before there was infrastructure to support it—the modern internet will never offer the speed and consistency that real-time communications require. So, we built a network that does and a cloud platform tuned for real-time communications at every layer. Telnyx is the connective matrix, a worldwide nervous system, a high-speed rail tunnelling through the information superhighway. We’re the foundation for calls, texts and messaging today, for the internet of things, augmented reality and “communitainment” tomorrow, and for whatever enterprising imaginations can dream up after that.
We’re Telnyx. We’re the future of communications.
At Telnyx, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Telnyx, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.