We are seeking an experienced medical informaticist to join our Clinical Quality team. In this role you’ll be part of the team of clinicians, clinical quality & patient safety experts, clinical data scientists, data analysts, and research collaborators that is building a scalable, semantic network of clinical knowledge from data that powers the global leader in virtual care. If you are our ideal candidate, you bring vision and technical savvy to healthcare innovation. You will thrive in an environment of innovation as we move the industry forward, toward a more all-encompassing, personal approach to supporting patients at all stages of the healthcare journey.
Our multi-disciplinary team of subject matter experts —clinicians who focus on clinical quality and patient safety, data scientists, front and backend engineers, product management veterans, medical doctors, visual designers, UX researchers, data experts, and more--work together to enable health care providers to make excellent clinical decisions for their patients by using Teladoc Health’s digital tools – from electronic medical records to patient-centered applications.
You will bring deep biomedical/clinical informatics expertise, clinical experience, and practical solutions orientation to help create, scale, and maintain the clinical concept data definitions and rules. This position will require you to develop and manage terminologies and ontologies, model clinical content for inclusion in the knowledge graph, collaborate on unified terminology/content standardization efforts, and work within cross-functional teams on projects related to the use of semantic technology within the data environment. You will help design a unifying governance system to evangelize wider adoption of standardized clinical concepts.
- Identify, develop, and implement clinical terminology content across clinical data management systems
- Develop and scale workflows from defining, sharing, and updating for use across the organization (following the principles of continuous quality improvement and “make it easy to do right and hard to do wrong”
- Draw on clinical knowledge from clinicians and clinical quality experts to harmonize clinical data with standard medical terminologies and classifications (i.e. not limited to ICD10, CPT, SNOMED, LOINC, RXNorm, NDC; and value sets for clinical condition classifications, drug classifications, etc.)
- Lead updates to standard reference ontologies, mapping between and across standard and proprietary terminologies, and dissemination of terminology and mappings within the organization
- Develop the organizational workflows for those who are implementing/executing the terminology
- Provide thought leadership and strategic direction for all areas concerning clinical terminology
- Troubleshoot and resolve clinical terminology issues as they arise from stakeholders (both clinical and others in operations, etc.)
- Lead analysis and edits of existing definitions and value sets to prepare for upload into collaborative asset management tools that house clinical definitions
- Define and validate new classifications to support users and use cases
- Oversee the development, quality control, and timely updates to clinical data definitions and foundational clinical terminologies/mappings
- Inform and evangelize the shared use of data definitions across the organization
- Design enterprise-wide clinical domain ontologies, ensuring alignment with best practices, support of user needs, and positive business impact
- Assist with any in-house database design, validation and testing
- Develop and manage unified terminology standards
- Collaborate with clinicians, product leads, engineering, database managers, data scientists, and commercial teams on projects related to data definitions – from data mining, clinical data surveillance, predictive modeling search, knowledge discovery, personalization, and interoperability.
- Masters or PhD/MD in biomedical/clinical/public health informatics or related discipline (health services research, clinical outcomes research) required
- 2+ years semantic network/ontology/taxonomy development and project launch experience
- Excellent communication and organizational skills – easily transitions from speaking with/writing for technical experts to non-technical leadership; easily manages project launches with the skills of a project manager who can navigate collaborations with stakeholders across the organization
- Experience in a clinical delivery system or digital health care partner that has worked closely with clinical providers required (i.e. academic medical centers; work with claims data and health insurers or government entities – all payer claims databases, prescription monitoring databases; work with health IT companies that develop EMRs, care management platforms, wellness platforms)
- Track record of leading ontology/taxonomy implementation (from strategy design with collaborators to full launch and evaluation of success) in support of a user-facing product in healthcare
- Experience working with the management, transformation, and reuse of clinical content/data in the healthcare industry, with preference for experience pertaining to clinical reference content, clinical decision support, or EMRs
- Experience and familiarity with medical terminologies, including but not limited to SNOMED CT, ICD 10, CPT, LOINC, RxNORM, UMLS and VCAS
- Hands-on experience with methodologies & tooling for terminology management
- Direct experience implementing semantic networks of healthcare content using at least one semantic platform preferred
- Experience coding in a programming language (e.g. SQL) or statistical language (i.e. R code; Python; SAS; etc.)
- Statistical Analysis Experience/Machine Learning background/experience preferred
- S.-based clinical practice/health system experience strongly preferred
Travel Estimate – 10-20%
Location: Position can be remote, but must be willing to travel to Teladoc work hubs as needed for collaboration projects (up to 6 times per year possibly)
Why Join Teladoc Health?
A New Category in Healthcare: Teladoc Health is transforming the healthcare experience and empowering people everywhere to live healthier lives.
Our Work Truly Matters: Recognized as the world leader in whole-person virtual care, Teladoc Health uses proprietary health signals and personalized interactions to drive better health outcomes across the full continuum of care, at every stage in a person’s health journey.
Make an Impact: In more than 175 countries and ranked Best in KLAS for Virtual Care Platforms in 2020, Teladoc Health leverages more than a decade of expertise and data-driven insights to meet the growing virtual care needs of consumers and healthcare professionals.
Focus on PEOPLE: Teladoc Health has been recognized as a top employer by numerous media and professional organizations. Talented, passionate individuals make the difference, in this fast-moving, collaborative, and inspiring environment.
Diversity and Inclusion: At Teladoc Health we believe that personal and professional diversity is the key to innovation. We hire based solely on your strengths and qualifications, and the way in which those strengths can directly contribute to your success in your new position.
Growth and Innovation: We’ve already made healthcare yet remain on the threshold of very big things. Come grow with us and support our mission to make a tangible difference in the lives of our Members.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never have and never will discriminate against any job candidate or employee due to age, race, religion, color, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, membership in an employee organization, medical condition, family history, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, parental status or pregnancy (including breastfeeding – we have a mother’s room in both our offices). In our innovative and inclusive workplace, we prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind.