As a Senior DevOps engineer at Teladoc Health, you will demonstrate a leadership mindset, solid operational experience, and the ability to problem-solve. Additionally, you should have exceptional communication skills, be knowledgeable about the latest industry trends, and be highly innovative. The Senior DevOps Engineer will help design and develop a programmable infrastructure, configure, implement, debug and document new and existing applications running on Linux and Windows operating systems in private and public cloud infrastructures. Engage in design, development, installation, and system administration of build/continuous integration systems, anti-virus systems, and configuration management systems for medical device robots and other telemedicine endpoints. Participate in full development life cycle of DevOps projects on Teladoc/InTouch Health Connected Devices, including assessment of requirements, system analysis, and design.
The role performs ongoing application support for live production systems by diagnosing and resolving highly complex issues, identifying, recommending and implementing options for improving performance, maintainability and operability; update existing practices and procedures, as defined by supervisor. The role will also require direct work with development and quality engineering leads and other technical staff in the application design for software as a service delivery; work on projects requiring technical decision making and providing input to delivery schedules; normally receive basic or no instruction on routine work and new assignments; and have work periodically reviewed by more senior team members or supervisors for the soundness of technical judgment and overall accuracy.
- Write technical specifications and requirements definitions based on conceptual design and stated business requirements
- Develop SaaS public and private cloud infrastructure, in cost-conscious ways, using "infrastructure as code" and automated environment provisioning tools and techniques.
- Support, maintain, document, and write unit tests as part of infrastructure as code projects.
- Analyze code and design faults to find root causes of errors and assemble systems to pre-empt similar faults in the future
- Participate in the full development life cycle process including requirements analysis and design implementation
- Consult with Product Management team to prototype, refine, test, and ship products to meet business needs
- Consult and participate in design and deployment of new customer features, products, and utilities
- Identify and evaluate new technologies for implementation
- Analyze user needs to determine technical requirements
- Acts as the single point of contact for development and product teams into Technical Operations and as the primary subject matter expert within Technical Operations for a specified number of applications and service teams.
- Collaborates with the Development and Architectural teams to ensure operational maturity requirements (reliability, availability, scalability, observability, performance, capacity etc.) are met, and recommends operational improvements to them.
- Ensure internally developed and externally acquired custom off the shelf solutions are appropriately instrumented and monitored via the Teladoc monitoring standards.
- Performs technical work to accomplish tasks and projects within defined timelines and in a professional manner in alignment with active standards
- Installs, upgrades, configures, repairs and monitors high-availability, 24/7 application services, third-party appliances, and infrastructure; assists with automation scripts and tools to improve the team’s overall efficiency
- Works with others or independently on projects of medium to high complexity often with cross-team alignment needs
- Can develop high-quality documentation of all technical and non-technical deliverables to a wider organizational audience.
- Performs maintenance and service functions to support production infrastructure, including system installation, systems administration, patching and configuration and software upgrades on development and production systems.
- Participates in 24x7 on-call rotation and responds to production alerts involving multiple software system components. Uses background, experience and established procedures to resolve issues and restore services as quickly as possible.
- Follows and updates the Tactical Run Books and SOP’s, which define the processes and procedures for T3-4 level support of production workloads.
- Keeps abreast of technical trends, and develops and incorporates them within assignments as appropriate; recommends improvements and changes to supervisor and team
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in computer science, electrical engineering, or related field is preferred with 4+ years of directly related work experience, preferably in production support of highly available, online applications in the Software as a Service (SaaS) industry.
- English-language written and spoken communication skills
- 4+ years leading efforts that requires close collaboration with project and product delivery teams.
- A desire to automate yourself out of a job. We will always have new challenges and problems to solve.
- Thorough understanding and practical hands-on experience with configuration management concepts and tools such as Terraform, Helm, Chef, Puppet, CloudFormation, OpsWorks, CodeDeploy, CodePipeline, Ansible, and/or Salt
- Experience building and maintaining production systems within the AWS ecosystem using products such as EC2, RDS, S3, ELB, CloudFormation, CloudWatch, Elastic Beanstalk etc. and familiarity interacting with the AWS APIs
- Experience with continuous integration, testing and deployment.
- Familiarity with software development lifecycle. Experience with version management and ticketing systems such as Git, and Jira.
- Experience with monitoring, metrics, and visualization with tools like New Relic, Zenoss, Sensu, Nagios, Graphite, Collectd, Ganglia, etc.
- Experience with RDBMS systems (Specifically - PostgreSQL and MySQL).
- Proficient in high-level scripting languages such as Ruby and Python and script environments like Bash
- Hands on coding and familiarity required with skills in RESTful web services, JSON and XML.
- Able and willing to work in a team environment and adopt a culture of ownership and initiative and promote such within the team.
- Able and willing to work independently and in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines, with minimal supervision
- Excellent interpersonal skills, as well as excellent communication skills, verbal and written to both technical and non-technical audiences that are in a geographically dispersed environment (internet conference calls, telephone, face-to-face)
- In depth working knowledge of Unix/Linux systems administration and troubleshooting, with good understanding of Linux internals
- Experience with Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment tools such as Jenkins, Bamboo CI, etc.
- Working knowledge with version control tools (Git, Perforce, SVN, etc)
- Strong working proficiency in one or more administrative languages such Python, Bash, Ruby
- Experience with Linux hypervisors and virtual machines in public and private cloud infrastructure
- Ability to develop and debug software in Python, Ruby, Bash, Powershell
- Experience with configuring, hardening and testing base Windows and Linux Operating Systems
- Experience with automation tools like Chef, Puppet, Foreman, Salt, Jenkins
- Understanding of RedHat and Debian packaging and open-source development practices
- Familiarity with real-time OS, IOT projects
- Experience in open-source development and software development lifecycle process and techniques
- Working knowledge in Machine Learning would be a plus
- Working knowledge of SQL and/or No-SQL database technologies (SQL, schema design)
- Sound knowledge and exposure to network protocols, routing, internetworking connections and configuration and troubleshooting tools
- Good knowledge and exposure to WAF security policies and procedure would be a plus
- Good understanding of Security tools and procedures
- Exposure in designing the monitoring infrastructure with commercial or open source monitoring systems (e.g. Prometheus, Sentry, NewRelic, LogicMonitor, AppDynamics, WaveFront)
- Knowledge of distributed systems development, tools and designs
- Experience with distributed computing and Software Registration systems such as Cassandra/Zookeeper a plus
- Familiarity with common frameworks, languages and application servers for Webapps, Java, C/C++ or other languages a plus
- Knowledge and experience in the administration and operations of large-scale distributed computing environments; experience with standard system Operations methods and procedures; prior hosting experience a plus
- 5+ years of general production experience with deployment, monitoring and operations in AWS
- 4+ years of production experience with Docker containers and orchestration platforms such as ECS, EKS, Kubernetes, Mesos, Rancher and/or Swarm
- 5+ years of experience with performance optimizations such as improving scalability, availability, throughput, failover, etc.
- 5+ years of experience including software development, Unix systems administration, and cloud-based application management
Why Join Teladoc Health?
A New Category in Healthcare: Teladoc Health is transforming the healthcare experience and empowering people everywhere to live healthier lives.
Our Work Truly Matters: Recognized as the world leader in whole-person virtual care, Teladoc Health uses proprietary health signals and personalized interactions to drive better health outcomes across the full continuum of care, at every stage in a person’s health journey.
Make an Impact: In more than 175 countries and ranked Best in KLAS for Virtual Care Platforms in 2020, Teladoc Health leverages more than a decade of expertise and data-driven insights to meet the growing virtual care needs of consumers and healthcare professionals.
Focus on PEOPLE: Teladoc Health has been recognized as a top employer by numerous media and professional organizations. Talented, passionate individuals make the difference, in this fast-moving, collaborative, and inspiring environment.
Diversity and Inclusion: At Teladoc Health we believe that personal and professional diversity is the key to innovation. We hire based solely on your strengths and qualifications, and the way in which those strengths can directly contribute to your success in your new position.
Growth and Innovation: We’ve already made healthcare yet remain on the threshold of very big things. Come grow with us and support our mission to make a tangible difference in the lives of our Members.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never have and never will discriminate against any job candidate or employee due to age, race, religion, color, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, membership in an employee organization, medical condition, family history, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, parental status or pregnancy (including breastfeeding – we have a mother’s room in both our offices). In our innovative and inclusive workplace, we prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind.