Location: Denver or New York - hybrid
Senior Manager of Business Development, Investor Relations
As we scale Techstars’ investment platform, we are seeking an experienced and results-driven distribution professional in the U.S., within our Capital Formation Team. This person will be responsible for covering institutional and high net worth investors across all channels (i.e., consultants, pension funds, endowments, foundations, fund-of-funds, insurance firms, financial institutions, family offices, registered investment advisors, etc.) in an agreed upon geographic coverage area within the US. As the Senior Manager of Business Development, Investor Relations , you will be the primary interface with a select group of investors and will be responsible for representing Techstars’ global fund offerings. In this critical position, you will be responsible for building new investor relationships for Techstars, promoting our investment strategies, and supporting the Firm's fundraising efforts. You will also play a role in exploring new business opportunities as we expand our investment platform. The Firm has a strong brand, a stable platform, roster of high-quality existing limited partners, and a senior team that remains highly engaged. The position reports to the Head of Investor Relations.
N.B.: We are seeking to hire two professionals to fill the Senior Manager of Business Development, Investor Relations roles. Upon hire, geographic coverage area will be communicated and agreed upon. While subject to change, at present, the likely delineation will be for one professional to cover the East and Midwest regions, while the other professional will cover the West and the South regions.
About the role:
- Market Techstars’ fund offerings to US investors, within agreed upon coverage area, on a coordinated basis with other team members at the Firm.
- Generate LP interest and close investments for Firm mandates.
- Arrange and attend roadshows.
- Build and maintain strong rapport with investors, ensuring ongoing communication and exploring opportunities for additional investment.
- Attend industry conferences, events, and networking opportunities to promote Techstars’ brand and attract new investment prospects.
- Leverage your extensive network to build and expand relationships with institutional investors, family offices, high-net-worth individuals, and industry contacts.
- Work closely with the leadership team to develop and implement strategic initiatives that drive business growth and expand the investor base.
- Regularly follow up with prospective investors on fund performance, market trends, and investment opportunities.
- Record sales activities in Salesforce and collaborate with other members of the Investor Relations team on all follow-up deliverables.
- Continuously assess prospective investor sentiment, needs, and expectations to tailor communication strategies and enhance investor satisfaction. Remain informed about industry trends and changes in the investment landscape to identify new business development opportunities.
- Travel requirements: This role requires frequent travel, approximately 50% of the time, to engage with prospective investors, attend meetings and events, and explore and close potential investment opportunities.
Professional Experience and Qualifications:
- 5+ years of relevant experience in fundraising and/or investor relations.
- Prior relevant experience at a placement agent, private funds team, private equity fund, fund of fund, investment consultant and/or alternative investment firm.
- Prior business development and/or fundraising experience, with the ability to point to a track record of success in capital raising activities from institutional investors, family offices, and/or high-net-worth individuals.
- Demonstrated track record in managing investor relationships and delivering exceptional results.
- Structured and consistent sales process with thorough follow-up, dynamism, and perseverance.
- Creative and resourceful, with the ability to develop solutions, build relationships, and realize opportunities that others might not see. Ability to see beyond current realities and/or frameworks to envision and implement new and effective marketing strategies with target investors.
- Strong understanding of the investment management industry, financial markets, and regulatory frameworks.
- In-depth knowledge and passion for the tech industry, pre-seed venture capital, and emerging technologies.
- Strong attention to detail with exceptional organizational skills and process for tracking investor-related activities using a CRM.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with the ability to clearly convey complex concepts.
- Exceptional relationship-building and interpersonal skills, with the ability to connect with a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Collaborative and team-oriented, with a drive to work collectively with colleagues to achieve firm goals.
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Economics, Business or related field preferred.
Compensation: $130,000 - $150,000 base with bonus
The Techstars worldwide network helps entrepreneurs succeed. Founded in 2006, Techstars began with three simple ideas—entrepreneurs create a better future for everyone, collaboration drives innovation, and great ideas can come from anywhere. Now we are on a mission to enable every person on the planet to contribute to, and benefit from, the success of entrepreneurs. In addition to operating accelerator programs and venture capital funds, we do this by connecting startups, investors, corporations, and cities to help build thriving startup communities. Techstars has invested in more than 3,000 companies that today have a combined market cap valuation of $98.6 Billion. www.techstars.com
Techstars is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental handicaps or disabilities, marital status, Veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity nor any other basis prohibited by law.
Techstars uses E-Verify to check the work authorization of all new hires. For more information about E-Verify, please see the following: