You must reside in NYC/Tri-State, CO (Boulder, Denver) or London to be considered for this position!
The Sr. Director of Real Estate & Facilities role will source, secure, and manage the growing real estate portfolio needs of Techstars globally. This role is responsible for strategic leadership and oversight for a portfolio of over 30+ locations and growing. This role is focused on sourcing workspace based upon the needs of the local team, negotiating lease agreements for that space, and supporting engaging, effective, and safe work environments for Techstars employees, clients, and participants to do their best work. This includes, but is not limited to, lease negotiation and landlord management, facilities operations and maintenance, space planning, safety and security, budget oversight and vendor management, consolidations, closings and openings of offices.
This role will manage the entire Techstars real estate portfolio, including implementing and developing optimal processes, procedures and standards for all facilities. This role is ideally suited for someone with a background in negotiating lease agreements, reviewing legal documentation, and is also operationally-minded and able to manage many complex details and keep everything organized across many locations. The ideal candidate will work closely with senior management to understand growth opportunities and manage the strategic expansion of our physical spaces.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
- Experience contracting and reviewing international lease agreements
- Experience negotiating international lease agreements, including short term coworking space and long term leases
- Experience supporting international teams to define facility requirements and space planning
- Experience analyzing market trends, producing market reports, helping direct and guide strategic direction in various locations
- Experience managing employees
- Experience setting and managing budgets, including construction build out of commercial office space
- Strong financial analysis skills
- Strong negotiation skills
- Well-developed interpersonal and relationship building skills. Clear and concise communication skills, both written and oral with the ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
- Project leadership and management skills: able to track projects in Asana, keep communication up to date, interact with key stakeholders
- Working knowledge of Asana, Google Suite, and other tools
- Ability to manage multiple, large and complex projects at the same time
- Able to think and act strategically and tactically
- Critical thinking; ability to understand, dissect and analyze information.
- Ability to prioritize work and work effectively under pressure to meet critical deadlines.
- Willingness to travel approximately once or twice a month.
- Knowledge of commercial build outs, cost estimating and blueprint reading experience is a plus
- Develop and own the real estate strategy. Identify when we should open offices, when we should close them or consolidate them. Identify how we can get more leverage from our real estate portfolio.
- Actively secure and oversee all of the Techstars real estate portfolio, including lease/landlord management, space planning and contract negotiation.
- Keep and maintain an updated real estate portfolio at all times.
- Prepare regular reports and updates of Techstars real estate spaces to advise leadership on status of all sites. Requires solid business analytical and financial management skills. Must be a problem solver with ability to understand business implications and make decisions and recommendations under tight deadlines and with ambiguity.
- Create, develop and refine real estate guidelines for Techstars internal use.
- Establish and maintain all real estate and facility-related information using an electronic filing system.
- Ensure that facilities have necessary day-to-day operations for 30+ office sites, including opening and closing offices, move-in and move-out, building access controls, physical security and other safety and operational aspects.
- Oversee the design, planning, budget and build-out/construction of the company's physical office spaces in compliance with local building codes.
- Lead the bidding/RFP, selection, and contract negotiation processes for facility contractors and vendors, and oversee performance results and the lifecycle of the relationship.
- Manage all activities and communications between internal stakeholders, consultants and contractors including engineers, architects, and attorneys in order to deliver needed office space within appropriate timeframes.
- Collaborate and lead cross-functional project teams.
- Manage real estate projects of various sizes and budgets worldwide including US, EMEA, and APAC. Work with real estate brokers in international locations.
- Design and maintain organizational policies relevant to the facilities and safety, security functions.
- Develop and maintain corporate safety and continuity programs including emergency response and evacuation plans, business continuity plans, staff training and ensuring accurate, detailed, and easy-to-follow documentation.
- Participate in the budget planning process and ensure the department is operating within the approved budget in a cost-effective and timely manner.
- Be available off-hours for facility emergencies.
- Manage the office administrator in the Boulder office.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required (years of relevant work experience may be substituted)
- 10+ years of related work experience required, including managing corporate facilities, reviewing legal lease agreements, and managing real estate lease negotiations
- International lease negotiation
- Experience collaborating with key stakeholders to identify space needs, determine timelines, manage budgets and manage projects
Compensation range: $120,000 - $140,000 + 10% Bonus
The Techstars worldwide network helps entrepreneurs succeed. Founded in 2006, Techstars began with three simple ideas—entrepreneurs create a better future for everyone, collaboration drives innovation, and great ideas can come from anywhere. Now we are on a mission to enable every person on the planet to contribute to, and benefit from, the success of entrepreneurs. In addition to operating accelerator programs and venture capital funds, we do this by connecting startups, investors, corporations, and cities to help build thriving startup communities. Techstars has invested in more than 3,000 companies that today have a combined market cap valuation of $79 Billion. www.techstars.com
Techstars is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental handicaps or disabilities, marital status, Veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity nor any other basis prohibited by law.
Techstars uses E-Verify to check the work authorization of all new hires. For more information about E-Verify, please see the following: