Are you a servant leader of leaders? Can you “GiveFirst” with no expectation of anything in return? Do you believe that collaboration drives innovation? Do you believe that entrepreneurs can change the world? If so read on...
We are seeking a Managing Director (MD) who can take the helm and lead our Accelerator and investment strategy for Techstars in Lagos,Nigeria. Your focus is to invest in the best founders, companies and support them from ideation to exit. You will actively recruit, select, mentor and guide founders through challenges, critical decisions, strategy, tactics, securing investment, making hard decisions and celebrating their wins. You will be directly supported by a Program Manager (PM) who focuses on program operations and with you, executing the Techstars proven playbook and delivering the best possible experience for Founders.
The MD sets the strategic direction and investment thesis of the program, including developing a curated team of mentors, investors and business advisors. The MD has ownership of the program success and partners with our central operations teams to ensure the exceptional delivery of our programs.
You will report directly to the General Manager joining a team that spans the globe. Work is based in Lagos, Nigeria.
Responsible for turning good companies into great, are you up to the challenge?
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Define the strategic direction and investment thesis for the program
- Partner with program teams to create a holistic strategy and delivery plan and then own overall responsibility for the successful execution of the program
- Sourcing, recruiting and making the initial investments decisions in all companies selected
- Partner with internal Techstars’ teams to create and drive the pipeline and recruitment of new companies across the entire Techstars network.
- Create and nurture a strong network of mentors, sponsors, investors and corporate partners
- Represent Techstars in the local community, both actively and passively
- Service the Techstars’ network
- Mentor new MDs, assist in other programs, work on strategic initiatives and develop meaningful and beneficial relationships across the Techstars ecosystem
- Entrepreneurial empathy - Must have founder experience, preferably been through failure and successful startups as a CEO
- 10+ years of experience in fast-paced environments within technology, startups, entrepreneurship and venture capital
- Demonstrative leader of leaders and core understanding servant leadership
- Strong investor mental model and demonstrative results of your investment decisions, good and bad
- Comfortable with a minimal amount of direction and high expectations
- Ability to command a room, public speaking and community development is key
- Fits the Techstars’ culture of #givefirst, Entrepreneurial Inclination, High Quality and Network Focused
- Ability and willingness to travel worldwide for meetings and events around the globe
- Expertise in term sheets, negotiations and fundraising.
- Understand the value of scalable systems and processes
- Degrees are welcome but not required. Show us what you have done, and can do beyond what you learned in school.
Techstars is the worldwide network that helps entrepreneurs succeed. Founded in 2006, Techstars began with three simple ideas - entrepreneurs create a better future for everyone, collaboration drives innovation and great ideas can come from anywhere. Now we are on a mission to enable every person on the planet to contribute to, and benefit from, the success of entrepreneurs. In addition to operating accelerator programs and venture capital funds, we do this by connecting startups, investors, corporations and cities to help build thriving startup communities. Techstars has invested in more than 2,300 companies with a combined market cap of more than $29B.
Techstars’ mission is to help entrepreneurs succeed wherever they are in the world and whatever their background is. Regional accelerator programs all around the world are the cornerstone of the strategy. The investment approach is fundamentally driven by the worldwide network of managing directors, who interact with startup founders daily, guiding, mentoring and cultivating them along the journey. The scale of this reach results in a diversified strategy that provides investors with a uniquely qualified deal flow.
We help Techstars founders connect with other entrepreneurs, experts, mentors, alumni, investors, community leaders, and corporations to grow their companies.