The Techstars Equitech program, run in partnership with UpSurge Baltimore, is a new accelerator focused on investing in startups through the Equitech lens - prioritizing leadership by underrepresented founders, diverse teams and solutions that aim to address systemic societal challenges.
Our partner, UpSurge Baltimore, was launched earlier this year to make the city a top-tier innovation hub over the next decade. Using the Equitech framework to carve a place in the national innovation conversation as the first-ever inclusive tech economy.
We are recruiting for multiple Entrepreneurs in Residence (EIR) to support Equitech founders in growth, fundraising, and product. As an EIR, you will be frontline support for the first amazing class of startups, as they grow from early-stage to venture-backed companies. It’s a chance to broaden your network, get exposure to Techstars mentors and investors, be connected to the UpSurge Equitech mission, and work alongside these emerging companies while making an impact in Baltimore.
Historically, many EIRs end up being employed by one of the teams or by someone they meet during the span of the three months. Many also go on to build their own companies or support and invest in future founders. This is an incredibly unique experience to play a hands-on role in supporting a portfolio of diverse companies and founders for three months.
This is a full time or part-time, 3-4 month contract position starting November 2021 to February 2022. Remote candidates considered, in-person candidates must be located near the Baltimore area for duration of program.
Role and Responsibilities
An EIR’s main responsibilities consist of:
- To work alongside the Managing Director and Investment Principal to help founders with their businesses during the program, which could include customer discovery and development, business model, marketing, financials, pitching and fundraising.
- Help Techstars team recruit and select top-caliber companies and mentors for the program
- Help the Techstars team connect founders to mentors during program and help facilitate the founder / mentor relationships
- And other activities that the MD may assign in support of the overall success of the program
When looking for the ideal EIR for an accelerator program, we believe that an existing depth of experience in and connection into the world of tech entrepreneurship, startups and venture capital is critical. The candidate should be able to make an immediate contribution to the startup companies and program with little to no learning curve or training. This is a great short-term transitional role for an entrepreneur who is "between startups" to provide value, to learn, to get a new credential, etc.
Our EIR must be interested in supporting the next generation of Equitech startups and the ethos of the Equitech vision.
Given the importance of startup mentorship and community building in the position we aim to target entrepreneurial profiles such as:
- Founders or executives from successful, preferably VC-backed, tech startups.
- Angel or early investors with previous entrepreneur and operating experience as well as a willingness and interest in deepening their exposure to mentorship and portfolio development
- Lead and active mentors of Techstars or other top tier accelerators
- Local startup mentors, advisors or board members
- A passion and interest in diversity, impact and scale
What we look for in these profiles is:
- Proven relevant experience working directly with tech startups in an operational, advisory or investor capacity
- A strong professional network of individuals (investors, mentors, founders) with the background, experience and passion needed to help tech startups drive toward success
- Operational experience, preferably in high growth technology companies or startups.
- A #givefirst attitude toward their community and all of the individuals they interact with and a passion for helping startups become successful businesses
- 5 Questions with Sherman Williams, Entrepreneur in Residence at Techstars LA
- Ask many of the Techstars EiRs who have become Techstars MDs, joined venture funds or jumped into a startup operating role, amongst other endless opportunities.
The Techstars worldwide network helps entrepreneurs succeed. Founded in 2006, Techstars began with three simple ideas—entrepreneurs create a better future for everyone, collaboration drives innovation, and great ideas can come from anywhere. Now we are on a mission to enable every person on the planet to contribute to, and benefit from, the success of entrepreneurs. In addition to operating accelerator programs and venture capital funds, we do this by connecting startups, investors, corporations, and cities to help build thriving startup communities. Techstars has invested in more than 2,200 companies that today have a combined market cap valuation of $29 Billion. www.techstars.com
Techstars is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental handicaps or disabilities, marital status, Veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity nor any other basis prohibited by law.