London or Berlin
The role of an investment manager at Techstars is to connect with, support, and boost the performance of a subset of our nearly 2000 portfolio companies, and to support our follow-on investment strategy.
On a daily basis, you’ll interact and connect with Techstars portfolio companies CEOs and executive teams, understanding their needs and performance, and help focus the right resources from across Techstars into the right companies. You will work hand in hand with founders and leadership teams of startups across our ecosystem, and will partner with different departments inside of Techstars to ensure the right resources are deployed to the right companies at the right time. Furthermore, you will track the progress and development of these startups, helping to identify which companies meet Techstars matching fund eligibility, and will help deploy that capital in accordance with fund strategy.
The ideal investment manager will have deep emotional intelligence and people skills, can work collaboratively and creatively inside sometimes challenging dynamics of the startup world, and has unshakeable organization skills, letting nothing fall to the floor. Experience working with high-growth, startup CEOs is a must, as is exposure to early-stage technology investing.
The investment Manager, EMEA will be focusing primarily on portfolio companies located in EMEA and will work alongside a team of other Investment Managers with similar responsibilities.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Have quarterly check-in calls (at a minimum) with a subset of the Techstars portfolio CEOs.
- Identify needs of the companies, and help direct Techstars resources into the companies as appropriate.
- Work collaboratively alongside other departments inside of Techstars to ensure the right resources are being deployed to the right companies at the right time.
- Complete quarterly portfolio reviews for companies you’re working with.
- Serve in a support function to identifying and executing the matching-fund strategy of Techstars.
- Work alongside other investment and portfolio managers inside of Techstars to identify and implement projects and programs to help increase the data, tracking, and performance of the portfolio.
- Work alongside Techstars staff to better support the portfolio companies.
- Drive pro-rata decisions alongside legal, finance, and leadership.
- Has 3+ years of exposure to early stage investing. Understands and feels comfortable with term sheets, round dynamics, investment deals, and investment fund strategies and can talk knowledgeably about them.
- Is comfortable using software such as Salesforce, Google apps, excel - or at very minimum is a fast learner and does not fear technology.
- Has EXCELLENT people skills. Is candid, transparent, comfortable having difficult conversations and providing open yet respectful feedback to CEOs and founders, has deep emotional intelligence, can navigate complex social situations, and has a love of working with people who are driven, creative, and sometimes challenging.
- Intellectually honest, creative, curious, eager to learn, eager to teach.
- Is not afraid to ask for help, to admit you don’t know something, and to work collaboratively.
- Experience working at a seed or small venture capital fund is a plus but not a requirement.
- Self-starter with a bias toward action, thrives in independent work environments with little oversight.
Techstars is the worldwide network that helps entrepreneurs succeed. Founded in 2006, Techstars began with three simple ideas - entrepreneurs create a better future for everyone, collaboration drives innovation and great ideas can come from anywhere. Now we are on a mission to enable every person on the planet to contribute to, and benefit from, the success of entrepreneurs. In addition to operating accelerator programs and venture capital funds, we do this by connecting startups, investors, corporations and cities to help build thriving startup communities. Techstars has invested in more than 2,300 companies with a combined market cap of more than $210B.
Techstars’ mission is to help entrepreneurs succeed wherever they are in the world and whatever their background is. Regional accelerator programs all around the world are the cornerstone of the strategy. The investment approach is fundamentally driven by the worldwide network of managing directors, who interact with startup founders daily, guiding, mentoring and cultivating them along the journey. The scale of this reach results in a diversified strategy that provides investors with a uniquely qualified deal flow.
We help Techstars founders connect with other entrepreneurs, experts, mentors, alumni, investors, community leaders, and corporations to grow their companies.
Techstars is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental handicaps or disabilities, marital status, Veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity nor any other basis prohibited by law.