We are looking for a talented and competitive Business Development Manager that thrives in an innovative sales cycle and finds the intersection of startups and corporations fascinating. This person must have the discipline to manage themselves in a work from home situation and is equally flexible to switch to an office if needed. Lastly, be ready to jump on a plane to emcee & drive events for LeadGen! Consider yourself an evangelist for Corporate Innovation & Startup Success!
A Business Development Manager plays a fundamental role in achieving our ambitious customer acquisition and revenue growth objectives. Your main responsibility will be generating leads mainly through events (live & virtual)! These are events that you will create, drive & fill with prospects! You will do this with the support of Techstars Sales Directors, Managing Directors, Networking teams,event coordinator etc. However, you must be comfortable creating & driving attendance to events, this includes making dozens of calls/emails per day to create interest through quality content. You will also qualify incoming web-leads, work on RFP’s if needed and pivot at a moment’s notice based on the needs of the team.
You will execute on all leadgen/bizdev opportunities in your region. The role includes working with our local sales executives and Sales Operations team to ensure all systems are in place and running smoothly for the team.
- Create live & virtual events to engage a broad cross-section of innovation verticals, startup activity, and trends within those areas of interest
- Use internal resources to help find speakers & entrepreneurs to deliver content at the events
- Drive attendance to these events
- Lead qualification: Follow up on attendees to qualify sponsorship/accelerator opportunities
- Lead qualification: follow up on all leads from website and any othe rsource to qualify for sales
- Track level of engagement by attendees & topics to inform your event topic choices
- Draw thoughtful conclusions from conversation trends from events to inform future events and/or disseminate to our members
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to create and build repeatable and efficient processes for accessing our Techstars employees to help contribute their knowledge-base for these events
- Support high-value engagement between the potential sponsors & Techstars founders
- Design & Execute on regional event planning (virtual/live) to generate high quality leads.
- Work with sales executives to source new sales opportunities through inbound lead follow-up and outbound cold calls.
- Understand customer needs and requirements
- Build community in your regions interested in innovation and/or connecting with startups to solve their business needs
- Research accounts, identify key players and generate interest
- Build interest in cities interested in creating thriving entrepreneurial communities
- Ensure and potentially clean updates and details in SalesForce to ensure accurate reporting
- Prepare top-of-funnel reports and present at weekly forecast meetings
- Proven cold call Sales experience
- 3-6 years of deep sales experience with at least 2+ years of experience creating live & virtual events desired
- Experience hosting and/or emceeing events (ie Startup Weekend, Clubhouse, etc)
- Familiarity with events in the startup space & ways to leverage them fto drive compelling content & attendance
- Ability to research & source internal & external events
- Strong interest in the discourse around technology, startups, entrepreneurship, venture capital.
- Marketing, PR or journalism experience is a must: Strong writing skills & ability to market any & all events created.
- Extremely strong communication and persuasive communicator
- Presentation skills and “stage-presence” is a must
- Prior research experience preferred; experience with Pitchbook, Crunchbase, and similar desired
- Asana skills desired
- Familiarity with both the corporate and startup world
- Fit the Techstars’ culture (people-oriented, adaptable, supportive, creative)
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university or equivalent professional experience, Masters is a plus!
- Enjoy traveling locally, nationally, and internationally (50% travel is expected)
- Proficient with corporate productivity and web presentation tools
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Strong listening and presentation skills
- Desire to have a career in sales &/or leading events, driven to become a quota-carrying Sales Executive within a year
- Proficient in Zoom, Hopin, Remo or Microsoft Teams is a plus
- Proficient in Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc, experience with Salesforce, Pipedrive or other sales CRM tools
- Strong interest in technology, startups, and entrepreneurship
- Experience with venture capital a plus (either directly or indirectly)
- Understands what it means to work for a small, fast-paced/high-growth company
- Thrives (demonstrated) working in a distributed/independent environment
- The idea of working cross-functionally across Techstars and with other companies to come up with innovative solutions and ideas excites you
- You have exceptional professional presentation and speaking skills
- You are incredibly self-driven and organized
- You enjoy traveling locally, nationally, and internationally, sometimes dropping everything and jumping on a plane to make a deal happen (50% travel is expected to ensure networking within Techstars and possibly clients
Compensation range: $90,000 - $100,000 + 10% Bonus
Techstars is the worldwide network that helps entrepreneurs succeed. Founded in 2006, Techstars began with three simple ideas - entrepreneurs create a better future for everyone, collaboration drives innovation and great ideas can come from anywhere. Now we are on a mission to enable every person on the planet to contribute to, and benefit from, the success of entrepreneurs. In addition to operating accelerator programs and venture capital funds, we do this by connecting startups, investors, corporations and cities to help build thriving startup communities. Techstars has invested in more than 2,300 companies with a combined market cap of more than $210B.
Techstars’ mission is to help entrepreneurs succeed wherever they are in the world and whatever their background is. Regional accelerator programs all around the world are the cornerstone of the strategy. The investment approach is fundamentally driven by the worldwide network of managing directors, who interact with startup founders daily, guiding, mentoring and cultivating them along the journey. The scale of this reach results in a diversified strategy that provides investors with a uniquely qualified deal flow.
We help Techstars founders connect with other entrepreneurs, experts, mentors, alumni, investors, community leaders, and corporations to grow their companies.