Techstars is searching for a Communications Specialist with a background in internal communications as well as external communications. The ideal candidate has experience writing for an internal audience/employees as well as external audiences with a focus on executive speech writing. This individual must have strong written, verbal and visual communications experience with a knack for using data and research to create engaging content.
This individual in this role must have experience clearly communicating the voice and tone of the overall organization as well as that of the CEO, and individual senior leaders, while tailoring key messages using the appropriate tools and media. This role reports directly to the VP, Public Relations and Internal Communications but works closely with executive leadership. Ideal candidates are aware of language subtleties and always craft messaging with the appropriate audience in mind.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Research and identify appropriate storylines to be able to write and edit executive communications to be shared across various internal/external audiences, tools, and channels
- Conduct research to obtain interesting facts and statistics that can be used in writing assignments
- Align key messages in all communications to ensure consistent brand voice
- Rehearse or practice speeches out loud and comfortable providing senior leaders with feedback/strategic counsel
- Maintain high performance under pressure and understand processes to ensure quick and timely execution of writing assignments
- Implement stakeholder feedback and complete any edits promptly
- Work with editorial team to plan content calendar and post assets in a timely manner
- Understand written briefs and meet with clients to discuss the specifics of the writing assignment/speech which may include structure, points of emphasis, appropriate humor, content, and overall style
- Provide input and research on new tools and media to support the internal/external cascading and dissemination of communications
Qualifications and Skills:
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism, mass communications, public relations, English or literature, or a similar discipline
- At least 5 years of experience in a similar role
- Superb written, visual and verbal storytelling skills
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- Follow AP standard of writing
- Skilled at translating complicated business topics into engaging storytelling content
- Organized and skilled at project management as a way to effectively manage workflow
- A good understanding of public speaking
- Strong command of PowerPoint and other audio visual cues and supporting tools
- Exemplifies executive presence and has a comfort level working with C-suite leaders
- Maintains resiliency and patience to complete multiple revisions if needed.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Can quickly pivot to shift priorities
- Acts as a team player
- Shows keen attention to detail
- Demonstrates business acumen
- Exemplifies a strong bias for action and ability to multitask
- Flexibility to work after hours and/or weekends and must be able to work East Coast hours
Compensation range: $90,000 - $110,000 + 10% Bonus
Techstars is the worldwide network that helps entrepreneurs succeed. Founded in 2006, Techstars began with three simple ideas - entrepreneurs create a better future for everyone, collaboration drives innovation and great ideas can come from anywhere. Now we are on a mission to enable every person on the planet to contribute to, and benefit from, the success of entrepreneurs. In addition to operating accelerator programs and venture capital funds, we do this by connecting startups, investors, corporations and cities to help build thriving startup communities. Techstars has invested in more than 2,300 companies with a combined market cap of more than $19B.
Techstars’ mission is to help entrepreneurs succeed wherever they are in the world and whatever their background is. Regional accelerator programs all around the world are the cornerstone of the strategy. The investment approach is fundamentally driven by the worldwide network of managing directors, who interact with startup founders daily, guiding, mentoring and cultivating them along the journey. The scale of this reach results in a diversified strategy that provides investors with a uniquely qualified deal flow.
We help Techstars founders connect with other entrepreneurs, experts, mentors, alumni, investors, community leaders, and corporations to grow their companies.
Techstars is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental handicaps or disabilities, marital status, Veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity nor any other basis prohibited by law.