Compensation Range: $2,500 per month
The Techstars Alabama Team is looking for a Venture Associate to join our team and aide in the development of investor pipelines for the 10 companies selected into our program. This is a unique opportunity where you’ll have the chance to get amazing experience and explode your network while working closely with Program Staff and entrepreneurs as well as working up close and personally with mentors, investors, and other community leaders. You will also have access to full involvement in Techstars social events with the founders and local startup community. Historically, associates have gone on to be employed by one of the cohort companies or by someone they met during the span of the three months. Many have also gone on to build their own companies.
General Job Description
This role is a temporary, part-time position, from September through Mid December, with potential opportunity for a longer engagement. Applicants should be able to jump in and complete any task quickly and effectively. We expect a great attitude, a “founder first” mentality, desire to learn and meet new people, and lots of energy and enthusiasm. You should be scared of no task and be willing to take on any project, large or small.
It’s a chance to learn startup best practices from one of the premier venture accelerators in the country, broaden your network in ways you could never imagine, get exposure to some of the greatest up and coming companies and teams in the country. Historically, many associates end up being employed by one of the teams or by someone they met during the span of the three months. Many also go on to build their own companies.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Research qualified investor leads for 10 different startups, across various industries and investment stages.
- Gather information on industry trends to qualify investor leads
- Summarize due diligence notes and enter into company specific CRM
- Design, plan, and manage (in partnership with Program Manager) Investor Showcase event
- Assist Founders in maintaining/vetting Investor pipeline
- Network with peers in other VC/Angel networks.
- Maintain a high level of professionalism while representing Techstars Alabama and 10 companies within cohort.
- Work with Managing Director to continue building out investor relationships for the Accelerator Program.
- Adhere to Techstars best practices and code of conduct.
- Available full time for 14 weeks
- 1+ year(s) relevant experience in fast-paced environments with a focus on entrepreneurship, startups, venture capital, or consulting (proven experience working within fundraising, VC, investments background highly preferred)
- Strong interest in the discourse around technology, startups, entrepreneurship, and venture capital
- Proven attention to detail through prior work or life experience
- Experience with research tools and methodologies
- Basic understanding of marketing CRM and lead management, market research, due diligence, and investment experience a plus
- Familiar with websites such as Crunchbase, AngelList, LinkedIn, etc
- Comfortable with a minimal amount of direction but high expectations
- Be a problem solver and effective communicator
- Fits the Techstars culture (people-oriented, adaptable, supportive, creative)
- Authorized to work as contractor in United States
- Dirk Lehmann – Techstars Associate Programme: The Better Startup MBA?
- Duc Luan Dam - Luan, do you ever sleep? (Being an Associate at Techstars part 1)
Techstars is an investment and innovation group that connects entrepreneurs, investors, corporations, and city governments to solve challenges across industries and geographies. We pioneered the accelerator program model in 2006 working toward our vision of a connected global economy of innovation.
Techstars is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental handicaps or disabilities, marital status, Veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity nor any other basis prohibited by law.